Friday, September 26, 2014

Fortune Room

Jockey Club is a place that many of my friends and I have grew up in. From swimming lessons, tennis lessons, to numerous family dinners and dimsum lunches, Jockey Club has definitely been a huge part of my childhood. Fortune Room is the more refined Chinese restaurant and my parents told me that they wanted me to try a tasting menu there. I have always just had regular Chinese meals there and was curious to see what the tasting menu would be like. Overall, the food was good but not particularly remarkable. The ingredients were all of high quality and plating was detailed and thoughtful. My parents said that they have had other tasting menus here and that this was not as good as usual. Regardless, it was still a nice dinner and service was very polite and professional as usual. I did appreciate how it tried to be creative with some elements of fusion in the dishes.

Char Siu (Cantonese Roast Pork)
Haha this was not part of the tasting menu but my mom's dish because she did not want to order the tasting menu. This was super juicy and tender. 

Roasted Suckling Pig with Crispy Bean Curd Sheet and Cucumber Scallop Salsa in Tomato
A classic cantonese dish. The skin was extremely crispy and not too fatty. The bean curd sheet was also not greasy and made well. The tomato was not my favorite but did provide a nice refreshing touch to the dish.
Poached U.K. Oyster. Lemon Leaf, and Ginger Foam paired with Poached Lobster Fillets with Grapes and Golden Garlic
The oyster was quite large and the flavors were not bad but I didn't like how it was strangely warm. I usually do prefer raw oysters but if oysters are cooked I would like it to be hot such as deep fried or baked. This lukewarm temperature was a bit off-putting. The grape and garlic was also a unusual combination. 

Pan-Fried Australian Wagyu Beef with Sea Salt and Dijon Mustard, Broad Bean Puree with Preserved Vegetables, Thyme Split Pea and Creaming Cauliflower Puree
The beef was super juicy and just melted in my mouth. I really liked the idea of the broad bean puree with the preserved vegetables but I would have liked more of the purees. This was a simple and well executed dish. 

Slow Cooked Salmon and Crab Roe Roulade in Rice Cracker and Seafood Sauce
This was another dish that was a tad strange. The salmon was actually very lovely and cooked to the perfect tenderness. The crab roe did not really add a lot of flavor but did have a nice textural contrast. The flavor of the salmon was also quite pronounced and fresh. The seafood sauce was the part that I did not really enjoy. It was a bit too gloopey and had a slightly sweet but indistinct flavor. 

Crispy Chicken Fillets with White Asparagus and Spring Onion Oil
Yummm this is another classic Cantonese dish. The chicken skin was perfectly crisp and the chicken was juicy. However, my parents always complain that Jockey Club's chickens do not have good "chicken taste" (雞味). The asparagus was a bit overcooked but was not a huge issue.


Braised Home-made Cat Ear Vegetable Noodles with Hairy Crab Roe
This was probably my favorite dish of the night. I really enjoyed this type of fusion and feel that it was a successful dish. Unfortunately the hairy crab roe was not super flavorful and rich but that is because it is not in season. It was still very delicious and the amount of crab meat was also very generous. The cat ear noodles went very well with the decadent crab roe sauce and was perfectly chewy. The addition of the scallions on top added a great crunch and kick of flavor.
Ginger Panna Cotta with Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Strawberry Curls
I love panna cotta and this was done very well. I also loved the addition of chia seeds on top. However I did not like the chocolate curls as they were a bit out of place and also looked tacky. 
Although there were hits and misses during this meal, I did enjoy the meal overall and was very stuffed at the end of it. I will definitely be happy to try another tasting menu with my parents and a nice bottle of wine :) 

Fortune Room
2/F 
Jockey 
Club 
25 
Shan Kwong Road 
Happy Valley
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment