Friday, September 5, 2014

Giando

I always remembered going to the Fleet Arcade to visit the bookstore to buy Archie Comics and try to sneak in Cosmopolitans when my parents were paying. That was a long time ago and now there is a sophisticated italian dining spot there: Giando! The location of Giando is a little bit out of the way of the usual hub of restaurants but easy enough to get to and definitely worth it! The view is lovely and the setting is also very pretty and bright. The chef-owner of Giando is Isola's former executive chef Gianni Caprioli. Y and I went for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed our meal there. I haven't returned since then but now that I am writing this review I will definitely make plans to go again, perhaps with my parents who really liked Domani by Pacific Place which recently closed. One special touch that took our meal to the next level was the free gelato. Y and I both picked a dessert and the chef told us that their gelato was really good and wanted us to try it. He offered to let us try it for free which was very sweet and thoughtful. The lunch starts with a buffet spread of antipasti then a choice of appetizer, main course, and dessert.


Antipasti Buffet Spread
The spread had a very sufficient selection of high quality cured meats, cheeses, and salads. Make sure not to get too full before the rest of your delicious meal comes!

Poached Egg with Crispy Pancetta and Fresh Peas Purée
The flavors of this dish was balanced very well and I loved the crispy pancetta against the fresh flavor of the pea purée. The egg's creaminess was also nice but may have made the overall dish a little bit too soft in terms of texture. But this paired with bread was a winner! Presentation was also pretty :) 

Mixed Fungi Risotto
This dish was executed perfectly. Each kernel of the rice had the ideal texture and the risotto was creamy and infused with the richness of the various mushrooms and fungi. So incredibly comforting and delicious!

Tiramisu
Once again another perfectly executed classic. Such a perfect cut of tiramisu also, so so pretty.

Pana Cotta with Mixed Berry Compote 
One of my favorite desserts! Such clean and refreshing flavors.


Gelato Selection
I don't remember what the flavors were but chef was completely right in saying their ice cream was worth trying. These were absolutely divine! So creamy and delectable. 

I am glad that I remember to make this post because now I definitely want to go back! It is a nice change from the usual lunch spots in Central and Causeway Bay and I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others! This review is rather old so I can't guarantee that the food is still good but according to recent reviews online it seems to have been able to maintain its high standards!

Giando
1/F
Fleet Arcade
Fenwick Pier Street
Wanchai
Hong Kong 

No comments:

Post a Comment