Thursday, September 4, 2014

Malis

When my parents and I first got to Phnom Penh, I didn't do my homework and research restaurants for us to visit. Luckily we found Malis in a travel book and we loved it! I don't have photos from our first visit but this was from my last lunch in Phnom Penh with A. It was the perfect farewell lunch and the food was once again very enjoyable. Malis is set in a beautiful location with a lovely garden and fountain outside. It is known in Phnom Penh to serve high class Khmer cuisine.


Golden Chicken Wings - Boneless Wings Stuffed with Peanuts, Chili, and Lemongrass
I thought this was a really cute idea and these did not disappoint. I wouldn't say they were a MUST order but they were very juicy and popping with flavor. The chicken was juicy and the filling was tasty and crunchy. The skin was also not overly fatty and was nice and crisp.

Green Papaya with Prawns - Spicy and Sour Green Papaya with Marinated Tiger Prawns
This may be a personal issue but I really disliked a specific flavor in this dish. This flavor was also prominent in vietnamese fresh rolls that I've had this another restaurant. I feel like it must be a specific herb but it reminds me of musty socks... like an old unwashed taste. The salad does seem fresh though and apart from the strange taste it was flavored well. The prawns were also well seasoned and crunchy. 

Green Beans - Long Green Beans Stir-fried with Shallots and Garlic
These were really good! Nothing special just regular green beans but they were perfectly crisp and very enjoyable in its simple preparation.

Vegetable Fried Rice - Fried Rice with Carrots and Scallions
A is a vegetarian so we asked them to prepare a vegetarian fried rice for us. Once again nothing special but it was executed very well. It was tasty while maintaining a fresh and clean profile. The rice was also not too wet which can be an amateur mistake.
I think I enjoyed the dishes I had with my parents more (the pork knuckle was DELISH), but this was still very enjoyable and I would definitely recommend Malis to friends who are visiting Phnom Penh. 

Malis
136 Street 41 Norodom Blvd
Phnom Penh
Cambodia

No comments:

Post a Comment