Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Taste Talks All-Star BBQ

Taste Talks is a 3 day food festival that takes place in Brooklyn and Chicago. The festival include food fairs, talks by chefs and other food industry professionals, workshops, and expos. W had a code for free tickets to the All-Star BBQ Event and of course I would never pass up such a great deal! Without the code it would be $40 per ticket. Apart from the items listed in the official menu, there were also little treats such as the oyster. Unfortunately the veggie burgers and the charred lamb tongue ran out :( I was also unable to get the dessert because I was too busy getting other food!

It was such a fun Sunday activity and it was just perfect to be with friends savoring yummy bites with great weather also! It was pretty packed but the lines moved along quickly and we soon got into a nice rhythm of getting food from one vendor and then quickly moving into the next line. I had such a great time and can't wait to explore more food festival/events!


Each vendor will check you off to make sure you only get one of each dish! 

DANNY BOWIEN | Mission Chinese & Mission Cantina & JAMIE BISSONNETTE | Chef/Owner of Coppa (Boston), and Toro (Boston and New York)
MISSION CHINESE SPECIAL
This lamb tartare was a great start! The flavors were fresh and exciting and tasted very fresh. I loved the little crispy cups and the scallions on top were great!

IVAN ORKIN | Ivan Ramen
GRILLED DUCK HEARTS | with a summer corn XO sauce
This was probably one of my favorite dishes of the day. And luckily for me a few of my friends don't eat innards so I ate their share also hehe. The duck was nicely charred and meaty and the corn was SO good. It was sweet but also has that hint of OX spiciness. It went perfectly with the little duck hearts... I WANT MORE. 

ACTION BRONSON | Musician & MICHAEL WHITE | Osteria Morini 
PORCHETTA "KRA PROW" TIGELLE | Thai spiced "Porchetta Kra Prow", crispy watercress, tigelle
This was pretty normal and was not memorable at all. It wasn't bad but just didn't seem very creative or special. I did enjoy the mixture of herb in the herb salad however as it provided a nice fresh and foresty mixture of flavors along with the fatty pork. 

DAVID SANTOS | Louro & JONATHAN WU | Fung Tu 
PIG HEAD SALAD | with green mango, cabbage, cilantro, mint, maLa vinaigrette and fish powder
I did enjoy how fatty the pig head was and it went really well with the tangy green mango. I think I got a nostril or something because I did find a tube like structure with some hairs in it (ew!), I still took a bite haha... might as well be adventurous! 


DANIEL DELANEY | Delaney BBQ - BrisketTown 
TEXAS HOT GUT SAUSAGE
I thought this sausage was quite good, bold flavors and had a nice bite to it. I also enjoyed the pickled cabbage on top of it but this was not particularly memorable. 



Yum! A nice and refreshing break from all the grilled meats. 

MAX SUSSMAN | The Cleveland & ELI SUSSMAN | Mile End 
GRILLED CHICKEN KEBAB | with Szechuan pepper zhug on flatbread
This was alright, the chicken kind of had a strange texture like it was too chopped up.



WILL HOROWITZ | Ducks Eatery SMOKED 
CHAR SUI LONG ISLAND EEL | fermented corn, sassafras root & crab roe creme
I loved the wonderful smokey flavor of the eel and the corn added a great crunch. I could have used more of the crab roe creme though as it didn't even really notice it until I read the menu. I really wish that the bread was soggy... if it was crispy this would have been GREAT. 


MATT RUDOFKER | Ssam Bar 
GRILLED BLUE WHALE OYSTER | shaoxing, brown butter, ramps
This was pretty good but it was a bit too sweet. But I did enjoy the different way of preparation for oysters. 

ANDY RICKER | Pok Pok 
BOAR COLLAR MEAT | rubbed with garlic, coriander root and black pepper, glazed with soy and sugar, grilled over charcoal and served with chilled mustard greens and a spicy chili/lime/garlic sauce
This was pretty disappointing, I thought the collar meat would be quite juicy and tender but it was quite tough and the flavor was also quite uninspired. Maybe it's also the asian in me but eating the "gai lan" cold and barely cooked was strange. 


ROB NEWTON | Wilma Jean and Nightingale 9 & OLIVER STRAND | New York Times 
BARBECUE DUCK | with sorghum, ginger and five-spice flat bread
This was the last dish that I had and it did not disappoint! The duck was nicely roasted and it all went together well into a rich and decadent bite. 
All-Star BBQ
East River State Park
Brooklyn
New York

No comments:

Post a Comment