Friday, September 19, 2014

Marea once more

Marea is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC and once again it did not disappoint. I went for lunch this time and had a lovely time. I had a heavy brunch (Southern style with biscuits, grits, gravy, bacon, sausage, eggs... you get the idea), so I was actually quite stuffed when I arrived but I still made sure I enjoyed every bite of this amazing food.

ASTICE - Nova Scotia Lobster, Burrata, Eggplant, Basil
This dish was a delight to the eyes and also to my palate. The lobster was cooked perfectly and was incredibly fresh and sweet. The burrata was creaming and had a lovely milk flavor. The olive oil was also very aromatic and the cherry tomatoes were sweet and juicy. The only complaints I have is that it was tad too salty and the addition of the eggplant was a bit strange. 


RICCI - Sea Urchin, Lardo, Sea Salt
Mmmmm this is always a huge crowd pleaser. The sea urchin was not the sweetest uni I've had but the components together was just incredibly creamy and decadent. The lardo was just perfect and melted in your mouth while the uni flavor was quite prominent. Definitely a must order whenever I am here!


FUSILLI - Durum Wheat Pasta, Red Wine Braised Octopus, Bone Marrow
I have not had ALL the pastas at Marea but I've had a good 3-4 different types. Therefore I can't technically say that this is definitely my favorite yet but from the ones I've tried this is definitely my top choice. The pasta is absolute perfection and has such a great chewy texture. The shape of the pasta also allows for the luscious sauce to envelop itself all around it. The sauce is incredibly flavorful and rich but not heavy. The octopus is also very tender and infused with flavor. I was too full to finish it because I literally just had brunch 30 minutes ago but 2-3 hours later I was filled with regret for not eating it all up :( 
STROZZAPRETI - Crab, Sea Urchin, Basil
 This pasta had very bright flavors and the amount of crab was very generous. The tomato sauce packed a tangy punch and the pasta was also cooked perfectly as aways. However, I enjoyed the octopus and bone marrow pasta more. W like this pasta more so it's probably just due to personal preference. I usually do prefer creamier pastas and while the bone marrow one is not cream based I prefer the richer and creamier element to that pasta. This is definitely still a very delicious pasta dish and I would recommend it!
Marea
240 Central Park South
New York
NY10019

No comments:

Post a Comment