Monday, January 5, 2015

Basta Pasta

Basta Pasta has been a classic since our college days. It was a popular choice back in the day but I realize that I have not heard much about it for a while. I love uni pasta so I decided that it was finally time for me to try it out. Unfortunately it completely fell short of my expectations and I will not be returning. I have not been before back when it was in its prime so I cannot make comparisons but W who has been said it was definitely not as good as before.

Love the little spaghetti detail on the menu

Galletto Ruspante Saltato Con Insalatina - Crispy Sautéed Tender Young Chicken, Petite Salad
This is easily our favorite dish of the night. I can't exactly pinpoint what it is about the marinade or dressing of this dish but it was just very delicious and fresh. The chicken was very juicy and the outside had a great sear to it. 

Spaghetti Con Uova Di Pesce - Spaghetti, Tobiko (flying fish roe), Shiso
I enjoyed the addition of the shiso but the sauce itself was much too watery and the tobiko just kind of gathered at bottom with the sad watery sauce... which left very naked and unflavored strands of pasta to be eaten. 


Linguine Ai Ricci Di Mare - Linguine, Fresh Sea Urchin, Pink Sauce, Fresh Basil
This is the signature pasta that almost every table had in the restaurant. The uni was definitely not fresh or of high quality and had a displeasing stinky taste to it. W also found a spike in her dish which is definitely not ideal.
Not pictured was the spaghetti with parmigiano reggiano and parma ham. I wanted to order this as it was served in half a wheel of parmesan cheese at the table but in reality it did not taste as good as I thought it would. Parmesan is not a very melty cheese therefore it became quite lumpy and strange with the spaghetti. While the food at Basta Pasta was not terrible, it definitely does not warrant a second visit (or even a first if you have never been).

Basta Pasta
37 W 17th Street
New York
NY 10011

No comments:

Post a Comment