Thursday, July 17, 2014

Sunday's Grocery

I was not in the best of moods but these delicious sandwiches and good friends definitely cheered me up (and maybe that coffee alcoholic beverage helped too)! The team behind Yardbird and Ronin have once again created a hip and interesting new outpost that serves delicious food that already have people talking all around town. I absolutely adore Yardbird, and I really loved Sunday's Grocery also. But I just don't know why Ronin never really did it for me. Maybe I need to go back and try it again. Sunday's Grocery offers customers made to order sandwiches and side dishes and a selection of shochu, sake, and other alcohol. Apparently there should be a draught wine system but that did not seem to be available yet when I went. There also will be lifestyle goods for sale but I didn't really notice when I went but it may still be in its opening phase. There is not seating there so you can either choose to bring it elsewhere to nom on or do it like us and sit on the little plastic boxes outside the shop. They also serve fried chicken on Sunday's but unfortunately I have yet to try them!

Mmmm what to get what to get?!

I forgot the name of this, but it was basically a espresso martini in a cute glass that I got to keep. The drink was freshly made too and then sealed with a little metal cover. Super cute! 


Chicken Fingers
Extremely solid chicken fingers. Juicy and high quality chicken lightly breaded with the perfect amount of crunch. Pretty sure that was kewpie mayo also which is just a gift from the gods. I love mayo always but kewpie is just NEXT LEVEL shizz.

Market Chips - Root Veg, Black Sugar, Shichimi
These market chips are SO delicious. The addition of the black sugar just genius and really makes these chips rise above other veggie chips. They are fried to crispy perfection and the sticky sweetness complements them so perfectly. They are also so pretty with all their vibrant colors! 

Mineeee!



Katsu Sando - Pork Katsu, Tonkatsu Sauce, Milk Bread
Oooooo this was so yummy. The katsu was not what I expected but it was still amazing. If you've been to Yardbird, the katsu tasted like a deep fried patty of the tsukune (chicken meatball). The katsu is then smothered in creamy slaw and savory tonkatsu sauce. This amazingness is then enveloped by two slices of fluffy Japanese milk bread. Eating this was like the taste equivalent of the feeling of wrapping yourself up in a soft fluffy fleece blanket. I'm a poet.

I feel like the team behind Yardbird is so great at taking dishes that are familiar, and adding a little something special to bring it to the next level. Like at YB, the type of skewers in terms of the meat is nothing innovative, yet they flavor it in such a way that really makes the whole thing pop and makes it so unique. They also are very good at inventing totally creative dishes too such as the KFC  (omg YUM). Once again, service was super friendly and knowledgable. C got the banh mi and I had a bite which was also extremely good. It would be nice if there was seating but that's not a big deal. I will definitely be back again and I also really want to try the fried chicken! 

Sunday's Grocery
66-68 Catchick Street
Kennedy Town
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment