Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Gramercy Tavern

Gramercy Tavern is one of New York's go to famous restaurants and was voted New York's most popular restaurant in 2003 and 2005. The reviews have also been stellar so I was really expecting to have my mind blown. T mentioned that he wanted to try it out because he has been getting promotional emails from them and I happily obliged and made sure we had a reservation when he visited. The meal was actually quite enjoyable, but it just was not amazing. You know when you have a meal where everything was perfectly fine, but you just don't have an urge to return? This was one of them. The atmosphere was nice, the service was lovely, and the food was also executed very well. But there just seemed to be something missing.

Amuse Bouche - Cheese Puff
This was a nice start to the meal, the cheese puff was decadent and yummy. The cheese flavor was strong and the puff was light and flaky. 

Lobster and Mussels Pappardelle
The sweetness of the seafood really shined through and the pasta was also well made. The amount of lobster was also quite generous. 

Pasture Raised Chicken, Kohlrabi, and Parsnip Puree
The chicken was cooked well and the meat was relatively juicy while the skin was crispy. The entire dish however just was not too exciting. Overall it was just quite sweet and didn't really make a lasting impression. It was not bad, just not that great. 

Venison Loin, Sausage, and Roasted Vegetables
The venison loin was cooked perfectly, the inside was amazingly pink as you can see and it was so tender. But once again, this plate was just quite sweet and none of the different flavors of the components really came together to result in an amazing harmony of flavors. Honestly this dish was good, but it just was lacking SOMETHING. 
The menu changes all the time at Gramercy so I definitely would not say that I would never visit again. I am sure that some of their other dishes are great. As I have said before, the food is far from bad, but it just did not live up to all the hype. I definitely did enjoy the dinner, but T and I both agreed that it was not a must go destination. I think if I were to return I would have casual bite at the tavern instead of the main dining room. I also don't think it is a must visit if you are short on time and only visiting. 

 Gramercy Tavern
42 E 20th Street (Between Broadway and S Park Avenue)
Flatiron
New York 
NY10003

No comments:

Post a Comment