Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Romdeng

Hello! This will be the first time I've ever posted about food in Cambodia! My supervisor Dr. Y treated the entire team to lunch today and we decided to visit Romdeng. Romdeng is set in a charming building with a lot of character and is extra special because it operates for a great cause. The restaurant is run by Mith Sanlanh whose has dedicated her work in helping improve the lives of street children. The restaurant therefore employs former street children who have been properly trained to allow them to have a chance for a better life. I was so impressed by the service and attentiveness of the servers and it was very touching to see how these children have been given a chance to make a life for themselves. The food was also quite good therefore I would definitely recommend others to pay Romdeng a visit because it also supports a great cause!

Oh! They are also famous for their deep fried tarantulas. I would actually be down to try but no one wanted them for lunch so maybe next time.

Roasted Spicy Eggplant Dip with Bread
I quire enjoyed this dip. The eggplant tasted very fresh and was seasoned simply so that we could really appreciate the taste of the eggplant. The little kick of spice was also nice. I think it would have been even better if the bread was toasted. 

Crispy Noodle Salad with Sweet Potato and Coriander Spring Rolls 
My colleague M ordered this and she seemed to enjoy it. I tried one of her spring rolls and they were yummy and crunchy. I may try this next time if I come here as I've seen it on tripadvisor before. 

Assorted Seafood and Vegetable in a Tamarind Gravy
The server recommended this dish and it was not bad. I don't think I would order it again as the flavors were not particularly special or robust but it was certainly not bad either. The seafood tasted fresh and the vegetables were also enjoyable. The sauce was like a light curry sauce and went well with the rice. 

Overall, I would not say that Romdeng is a MUST visit if you are in Phnom Penh, but the food was very decent and you can tell that a lot of care have been put into preparing these dishes and ingredients are fresh. I would be happy to return and try other choices and I also really appreciate the great cause that it supports.

Romdeng
#74 
Street 174
Phnom Penh
Cambodia

No comments:

Post a Comment