Friday, June 13, 2014

Momofuku Ssäm Bar - Bo Ssäm

David Chang has created an empire in NYC and his Ssäm Bar serves one heck of a good dish. It is not something you can eat all the time, and you will honestly have leftovers for weeks, but it is definitely something worth checking out. The bo ssäm is one of it's signature dishes that can be reserved for a group. Otherwise, the restaurant has a no reservations policy. Bo ssäm is a Korean dish and is a whole roasted pork shoulder with a delectable caramelized glaze. It is so so so good. And the best part is you get to wrap it up in butter lettuce with rice, oysters, chili sauces, and MY FAVORITE: SCALLION SAUCE. That stuff is the bomb.com and I always wish they gave me more. Apart from the bo ssäm, they also serve a whole roasted duck and a ribeye for large groups. They also have other dishes and we always over order because we are greedy and like to try everything. I have had the bo ssäm twice now and always take away the leftovers.

Santa Barbara Uni – Warm Silken Tofu, Trout Roe, Wasabi Pea
I am usually a sucker for anything uni but I really did not like this dish. This even has ikura which I also love but the addition of the wasabi peas were very strange and did not work at all. Would not order again. 
Dry Aged Sirloin Tartare - Buttermilk, Cipollini, Persimmon 
I thought this was quite yummy and the buttermilk added a nice tangy flavor to it. No one else at the table really ate it though so I had most of it hehe

Roasted Chanterelles - Brown Butter, Yolk, Bone Marrow
I don't really remember exactly how this tasted but it was quite rich, not particularly memorable though I suppose. 

 

Steamed Buns – Pork Belly, Hoisin, Cucumber, Scallion
Yum yum these are good! The pork belly is super tender and the buns are the perfect thickness and very warm and fluffy. I usually do take out some of the fat from the belly though. I like the addition of the cucumbers to offset the fattiness of the pork. And more scallions would be nice. 

Spicy Pork Sausage & Rice Cakes - Chinese Broccoli, Sichuan Peppercorns
This is a must order! The rice cakes are fried so that they have a lovely thin crunch on the outside while maintaining that great chewiness on the inside. The spicy sausage has such great flavor and goes perfectly with the little rice cakes. This is super addictive and I love it! 



OH YEAH

The main event




A big ass bowl of rice 


You all get these little tongs to rip apart the meat. I love love love the bits with the caramelized glaze. Some bits are a little bit dry but overall it just falls off the bone and is so tender and flavorful. 


My final product. This is just SO good. The oyster seems like a strange addition but it actually goes super well with it. The entire thing is like a flavor and textual party in your mouth. The pork is fatty and sweet, the chili sauce gives it a little kick, the oyster is creamy and gives it an interesting seafood element, and the scallion sauce is just good on anything really. The butter lettuce is so fresh and crunchy and the rice provides a much needed cushion for all the other elements. Don't be TOO greedy though and put a ton because you will have a hard time eating it, but I usually manage to fit everything I want and eat it all :)
Some people think that this is a bit too fatty and isn't that amazing, but I think it's really worth a try and I will definitely be going back for more porky goodness! Do try to get more people to go though because the amount of food is quite intense. I highly recommend this delicious and fun way to have dinner with a group of friends. Also, Milk Bar is just around the corner so if you have some space in your tummy for sweets (there always is), head on over there after your pork feast!

Momofuku Ssäm Bar
207 Second Avenue
13th Street
New York
NY10003

No comments:

Post a Comment