Monday, June 16, 2014

The Cannibal

This review is also from when T visited. T's friend A highly recommended Cannibal and we were not disappointed! The food was amazing and the vibe was also very cool. You can definitely tell that the entire team there is dedicated to serving customers high quality food and are passionate about what they are doing. Here is the menu. We went during winter time so we did not go outside into the garden but I hear that is is very nice when the weather is more accommodating. But apparently they do have heat lamps and such when it is cold. The space is small and there was a bit of a wait when we went but we were able to sit the their sister restaurant for a drink. Unfortunately the roasted whole pig head was sold out by the time we got there and I have heard great things about it. I would love to return though so I will check out the outdoor area next time and also try the pig head.

Lamb Tartare - Red Onion, Capers, Harissa Aioli, Egg Yolk
This was a great start to the meal! The meat was super fresh and flavored perfectly with just the ideal amount of capers and onions. The size that the meat was cut into was just right. I hate it when it is too minced and this retained the perfect amount of bite. The egg yolk gave it a lovely creamy texture and flavor and the toast was excellent. The bread was of high quality and went so well with the tartare. 

I want to say this was the broccoli rabe but I also think it was brussels sprouts? (I don't see the brussels sprouts on the menu)
This was also super yummy even though I do not remember what it was exactly... haha. The vegetable was really fresh and had great flavor. The cooking technique was executed perfectly, the vegetable was cooked just right, maintaining a great crunch while not being too raw. Once again it was served with high quality bread and the poached egg on top was like a lovely creamy blanket.

Bone Marrow - Parsley, Capers, Lemon, Radish
A very great rendition of bone marrow. Nothing particularly mind-blowing but amazing flavors and great execution. And once again the bread! 

Thai Sausage - Peanuts, Jalapeño, Scallion
The sausage was made so well and had so much going on. I really enjoyed the scallion and the peanuts, it was definitely not something I've had with a sausage before. I wouldn't say that the sausage was my favorite thing of the night but you can tell that these were made with care and high quality ingredients. I would be down to try their other homemade sausages again though. 


Tandori Lamb Belly  (For Two) - Watermelon, Chili, Lime Salad, Pita
Since they ran out of the pig head, we decided to try this lamb belly that was also highly recommended by A. This was BOMB. The lamb had such an amazing rub on it and was ridiculously tender and fatty. I did have to pick off some of the fat because it was a bit much for me but the flavor of the meat was just out of this world. It was also so tender and succulent. The watermelon salad was a genius complement to the fatty lamb and really gave this dish such a refreshing and unique flavor profile.

The Cannibal was a great dining experience and I would love to return. One thing I also noticed was how one of the chefs carefully changed all the brown paper in the display case that held a lot of the pates and sausages. The amount of care and dedication he took to making sure everything was done right was extremely impressive and I would love to come here again to support a restaurant that puts so much passion and care into their food. They also have a great beer selection for you beer lovers out there. 

The Cannibal
113 East 29th Street
Between Park and Lex 
New York
NY 10016

No comments:

Post a Comment