Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Eataly - Birreria

J was visiting from Hong Kong and we wanted to eat on a rooftop-y area so we could enjoy the nice weather (yes this is a old post). I have always heard subpar things about Eataly's Birreria but I thought it would be a nice spot to visit as we could enjoy the weather then also walk around the grocery store below and around the Flatiron area. The food was seriously so meh and I would definitely not come here again to eat. I think it's a nice spot for a drink but I also hear it gets super crowded during Happy Hours etc.

The olive oil was nice and nutty and I liked the cute presentation of the bread 

Panzanella - Housemade Rustico and Heirloom Tomato Salad with Red Onion, Alfonso Olives, Cucumbers, and Basil
The bread was overly soggy and the flavors were just very subpar (haha I will be using this word LOTS). The heirloom tomatoes were also a bit smushed and overly ripe. 
Pancia Di Maiale - Braised Pork Belly with Copollini Agrodolce served on Homemade Brioche
This dish was actually gross. The pork belly was ridiculously fat and was just inedible. While I get that pork belly is a fatty cut of meat this was just next level with around 95% fat with a few slithers of meat. 


Maiale Alla Birra - Arcadian Pastures Beer-braised Pork Shoulder, Apricot Glaze with Celery Root, Hudson Valley Apples, and Mustard Vinaigrette 
This dish looked pretty appealing but it was such a lie. The pork shoulder was so dry and the mustard vinaigrette was also much too strong and overwhelming. 

Portobello Alla Griglia - Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Whipped Goat Cheese, Beats, and Saba 
This dish was the best dish of the day but still not particularly amazing. The whipped goat cheese was nice and flavorful and I liked it with the mushrooms and the balsamic glaze. 
The meal was so mediocre and definitely not worth the price. I love walking around the store and I still haven't had the cheese and charcuterie downstairs but I think the rooftop is definitely not somewhere you need to go for food.

Birreria 
Eataly Rooftop
200 5th Avenue 
Flatiron
New York
NY 10010

No comments:

Post a Comment