Friday, October 30, 2015

Tuome

I've been wanting to try Tuome for a while after seeing it's "Pig Out" dish on instagram. Tuome is opened by Thomas Chen, who used to work at Eleven Madison Square Park and Commerce. The menu is American with Asian influences. I made reservations a couple times but something always came up and I ended up having to cancel it. I finally got the chance to try it out at a fun girls dinner! I think they may have changed the menu on the website as I can't find some of the dishes below but I will try my best! We also ordered the "Rice - Kale, Chinese Sausage, Duck Fat" and "Corn with Curry and Crème Fraîche". The rice dish was basically a "zhong" (a sticky rice package wrapped in bamboo leaves). It was a little soft but very flavorful and yummy. The corn was also very delicious and I loved the creaminess of the crème fraîche with the spiciness of the curry.

Tartare - Wagyu, Three Hour Yolk, Lemongrass 
The meat, as expected since its wagyu, was very juicy and decadent. I liked how it wasn't too chopped up and still maintained a great bite. The flavors were fine but not particularly memorable. It was also a little bit too watery. 

Chicken Liver - Mousse, NY Maple, Milk Bread
This dish reminded me of one of my all time favorite dishes: Yardbird's chicken liver mousse in Hong Kong!! The mousse was very fragrant and smooth and the crispy shallots were the perfect textural contrast. While Yardbird's one is still my number one, this was very enjoyable. 

Soft Shell Crab - Burrata, Heirloom Tomato, Herb Lime Sauce 
The soft shell crab was perfectly crispy and I loved the contrast with the creamy burrata. However, I feel like this dish was just missing something... perhaps some type of carb? I feel like this would be so good as a sandwich but slightly lacking as is. 


Pig Out (For Two) - Berkshire Pork, Spicy Peanut Noodle, Condiments 
The pork was really well done but we all commented that it just tasted like Cantonese roast pork... the skin was really crispy and not fatty and the meat was juicy. While it was good, it did not really justify its much higher price point when it tasted the same (maybe even less good!) than siu youk. However, we all LOVED the spicy peanut noodle. The noodles had such a perfect chewy texture and the peanut sauce was delicious! 
Overall I really enjoyed my meal here. I don't think I will be coming back anything soon because I have a lot of other things to try and I didn't have any specific dish that I was blown away by. But I really enjoyed the creativity in these dishes and would definitely recommend this place to others if they are looking for some fusion cuisine.

Tuome
536 East 5th Street
New York
NY 10009 

No comments:

Post a Comment