Friday, October 30, 2015

Crave Fish Bar

I love oysters and seafood and W has been wanting to try Crave for some time! We knew that it was near one of our friend's house but we had no idea it was just one street away. Unfortunately I was not super impressed with the meal and probably won't go back. The food wasn't bad, but there were a few dishes that were big misses and others were decent but not good enough to warrant a return.

Oysters
They were fresh and I liked how they added little bits of grapefruit for color 

Plancha Grilled Octopus - Chinese Broccoli, Cumin Mustard Vinaigrette
The octopus pieces were a bit skinny and this made them a bit chewy and dry. The cumin mustard was also much too overwhelming and the Chinese Broccoli was too bitter and didn't really complement the octopus or the mustard well. 

Fluke Ceviche Tostada - Bean Puree, Hearts of Palm, Baby Romaine, Thai Chili 
I did not like the addition of the baby romaine as it was just distracting and did not really go well with the smooth texture of the ceviche. The ceviche itself was fresh and I like how it was on top of a crispy tostada but the romaine was out of place. 

Rice Dusted Point Judith Calamari - Thai Miso Sauce, Mung Bean Sprouts, Aleppo Chile
I really liked the flavor profile of this dish, we all said it tasted very "Asian". It's a bit hard to explain, but it had the taste of Asian noodles or a very stereotypical Asian flavor that we all enjoyed. I also liked the addition of the bean sprouts but unfortunately the calamari itself was not crispy enough.

Chilled Local Scallop - Anise, Tomato, Lemon Puree, Shaved Fennel 
Once again, the scallop was fresh, but the puree was so sour and overwhelming that it totally distracted from the quality of the seafood. I had to scrap it off before I ate it. 

Local Diver Sea Scallops - Oyster Mushrooms, Spring Onion, Yellow Wax Beans, Tomato Champagne Vinaigrette
The scallops were perfectly seared and very plump. I also liked the oyster mushrooms but could do without the beans. 

Lobster Curry - Chu Chee Curry, Charred Red Onion, Japanese Eggplant Thai Apple Eggplant, Fresh Bamboo Shoots
One of the better dishes of the night. The lobster meat was chunky and sweet and I liked the flavor of the curry. 

Seared Rare Yellowfin Tuna - Mexican Corn, Queso Fresco, Pickled Onion, Guajillo Salsa
This dish looked pretty but was definitely not my favorite. The tuna was MUCH too raw and it was a little sickening as the raw tuna was not seasoned well at all. I love sushi and raw fish but this was just not enjoyable as it was such a large chunk and the fish had no flavor of its own. It was just this cold raw lump. The corn was good though. 
Garlic Chive Griddled Rice - Snap Pea, Egg 
I think this rice mixed with the curry was what I ate most of this night. The rice was the perfect texture and I loved the slightly crunchiness from being griddled and the garlic and chive flavor. 

I think Crave is ok for some oysters and specific fishes if you are in the area, but apart from that, I would say skip it. There are so many other better oyster places in New York such as Mermaid Inn.

Crave Fish Bar
945 2nd Ave
New York
NY 10022

No comments:

Post a Comment