Thursday, July 16, 2015

Big Gay Ice Cream

With a name like that, Big Gay Ice Cream is sure to attract some attention and it definitely caught mine. What started out as an ice cream truck now has several outposts in New York and its popularity does not seem to be waning any time soon! The shop had cute and colorful decorations and these yummy treats were perfect for a summer day.



The Salty Pimp - Vanilla Ice Cream, Dulce de Leche, Sea Salt, and Chocolate Dip
This is the shop's most popular item and while it is not exactly a unique flavor, I can see why. The ice cream is very silky and creamy and instead of merely swirling the dulce de leche on top, it is actually punctured into the ice cream which ensures decadent sweetness in every bite. The sea salt was not too prominent but the chocolate dip was perfectly crunchy. I think this is a great choice for a more classic approach but I actually preferred M's choice (below) more.

Bea Arthur, Vanilla Ice Cream, Dulce de Leche, Crushed 'Nilla Wafers
Mmmmmm this was so yummy! The crushed wafers gave this a fluffy yet crunchy aspect which was really interesting and delicious. The vanilla wafer flavor was also quite strong which I loved and it went really well with the caramel-y taste of the dulce de leche. 


I thoroughly enjoyed my cone and while I was hoping for more unique flavors, I would definitely come again and try other flavors, however, sometimes I see a massive line and I probably would not stand in a long line for this!

Big Gay Ice Cream
125 East 7th Street
East Village
New York
NY 10009

No comments:

Post a Comment