Friday, July 17, 2015

Root & Bone

Root & Bone is a restaurant that is opened by Top Chef alums Jeff McInnis and Janine Booth and has been on the to try list for ages for me and I. Maybe we have been anticipating it for too long, but the restaurant did not blow us away. The fried chicken was really good, but most of the other dishes were only ok.

Super cute tea cup for my alcohol :)  
Fried Green Tomatoes 
These were very well done and I enjoyed them. The outer layer was well seasoned and perfectly crispy and the tomatoes were fresh and tart. 


Grilled Peach Caprese - Gooey Pimento Cheese Croquette, Charred Peaches, Pickled Green Tomatoes, Baby Heirloom Tomatoes, Basil and Molasses Vinegar 
I was actually really looking forward to this item but it was quite disappointing. The peaches were not quite ripe enough and therefore did not achieve the caramelization from the charring. The pimento croquette was also much too small and the pickled green tomatoes didn't really fit in with the other flavors of the dish. 

Grilled Corn - Sweet Summer Corn, Cornbread Butter, Crunchy Hominy, Lemon PopcornThis was really yummy and the corn was grilled nicely. However, while I thought the addition of the hominy and popcorn was a cute idea, in terms of flavor it didn't really add anything to the dish and I preferred just eating the charred corn by itself. 
Drunken Pickled Eggs - Pickled Roots and Chips
These tasted a little funny as it was way too sour. 


Shrimp and Grits - VA County Ham, Brooklyn Lager Jus, Gulf Shrimp, Red Onion, Local Upstate Grits 
The shrimp was very fresh and plump but I disliked the addition of the ham. It tasted like the Chinese ham that you sautéed with vegetables and it just stringy and a bit tough. The addition of the cherry tomatoes also didn't do it for me and the grits weren't smooth or creamy enough.

Crispy Free  Range Fried Bird - Sweet Tea Brined, Lemon Dusted, Spiked Tabasco Honey 
This was the best dish of the night. The meat was very juicy extremely well flavored. The skin and coating was also crisp and not greasy at all. I also loved the tabasco honey (it tasted like the Mcwings sauce haha), it really made the dish pop. 
While some of the dishes were only ok for me, I wouldn't say that I had a bad dining experience here at all. The fried chicken was very well done and the mac and cheese looked really good on Yelp. I would not be opposed to coming here again but if you were visiting this would not be a must try. 

Root & Bone
200 East 3rd Street
New York
10009

No comments:

Post a Comment