Thursday, May 24, 2012

Coco Ichibanya

Coco Ichibanya is the top curry rice restaurant in Japan and has outlets in mainland China, Thailand, Hong Kong, and California to name a few. I unfortunately did not know the existence of this glorious eatery until Y introduced me to it. I was just about to whine about how there are only 3 outlets in Hong Kong and that they are all on the Kowloon side BUT I just found out on openrice that there is a Causeway Bay branch now! AM VERY VERY HAPPY. Apart from loving the food, I also love saying the name of the restaurant, it's so cute and has a nice ring to it. Coco ichibanyaaa~

Pork cutlet "tonkatsu" with egg omelette rice and spicy curry
The pork cutlet was crispy and well done. The meat is definitely not as tender and thick as the tonkatsu at Tokichi but the price is also much lower so this is understandable. Coco is also famous for it's curry over its tonkatsu quality. The egg is creamy and soft, the amount is very generous and there is enough egg for every bite of rice. The only complaint I have about this dish is that you can only choose between spicy or non spicy for the curry when you order the omelette rice. When you order other dishes you can choose from a couple levels of spiciness (1-5?). I like my curry to be spicier but I could not do that since I got the omelette rice. It seems silly impose such a restriction on the customers because I can't possibly see why they can't just ladle over the spicy curry onto the omelette rice! My curry was not spicy enough for me but it was still yummy. If it was spicy then this dish would have been perfect!

I love egg :)


C got a level 2 spicy curry with shrimp. I much preferred the spice level of her curry so I shamelessly took a number of spoonfuls to smother over my own rice. The waitress was a bit slow and seemed to be in a constant state of daze but overall the service was fine and it's not something I would be picky about in a casual restaurant like this. If you come here for lunch I recommend coming at 12 or 12:20 latest because once you pass that time the place gets completely filled up with workers on their lunch break. Coco Ichibanya is definitely one of my new favorites and with the new branch in Causeway I can see a lot of japanese curry goodness in my future :) I just really hope it doesn't turn into those 1+ hour wait restaurants...

Coco Ichibanya 
Shop 302
3/F
Silvercord Plaza
30 Canton Road
Tsim Sha Tsui
Hong Kong

2 comments:

  1. oh heyy~ I ordered the pork cutlet with omelette too! I love the pickles they have at the table. scoop that shit up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! the pickles are the best, such a nice tangy touch :)

      Delete