Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ay Chung Flour Rice Noodle

When my dad first described what a bowl of Ay Chung flour rice noodle was like, my mom and I were not that keen on trying it at all. He said that it was a bowl of overcooked noodles that was slimy and very soft, but really yummy. It definitely did not sound too appealing, but my dad insisted that it was delicious and a must try in Taipei. The headquarters of Ay Chung is located in the popular Xi Meng Ding and has been in operation since 1975. So I guess it really must have some secret charm if it has been so popular for this amount of time. My dad came back with a steaming bowl of the noodles and we all started slurping it up with our plastic spoons. The store has no tables and no chairs, everyone just stands around slurping this bowl of runny noodles up.

Everyone standing around with their bowls 

Flour rice noodles 
Although it sounds strange, I now understand what my dad means. Overcooked slimy noodles are not ones usual idea of delicious, but it was actually quite good in its own special way. The soup was slimy and tasty, with a nice vinegary tang to it. The noodles were really smooth and soft. I think this would be a great post drinking snack. 
Ay Chung Flour Rice Noodle (Headquarters)
No. 8-1
Enmei Street
Wanhua District 
Taipei City
Taiwan

No comments:

Post a Comment