Friday, January 6, 2017

Samsen

Ahhhh once again I've been rubbish at updating my blog. I have over 60 backlogged restaurants from both New York and Hong Kong. I will start with some Hong Kong restaurants and hopefully get the New York ones rolled out as well!

I don't think I have ever seen such a hype of Thai food before in Hong Kong before Samsen! I noticed an incredible onslaught of pictures of the wagyu beef boat noodles on Instagram and knew I had to go try it out. It has been open for a few months now but the lines are still as long as ever! Samsen is opened by former Chachawan Chef Adam Cliff and aims to serve casual Thai street food favorites such as boat noodles and pad see ew. The restaurant is tiny and has a cute and hip decor. The wait time is always more than an hour even on weekdays so I would recommend getting a drink at Stone Nullah Tavern next door after you put your name down.

Fried Marinated Pork Collar with Tomato and Chili Sauce 
The pork was marinated well but seems a bit too tenderized and salty. This would be good with a big bowl of rice but not my favorite dish as it was a bit too greasy.

Pad See Ew
YUM! I loveeee pad see ew and this was some of the best I've had! The noodles were sooo fat and chewy and the flavors were spot on. Must order! 


Wagyu Beef Boat Noodles 
This is the dish that most people have been raving about but I was not blown away. The soup was very robustly flavored but I felt that it was a bit too salty. I think a nice big kick of acidity would help balance out this dish. I haven't had a lot of boat noodles in my life so perhaps this is what it should taste like but I much rather shove my face with the pad see ew. 

Overall the food at Samsen packed a serious flavor punch but I don't think I would be willing to wait for over an hour frequently to eat here. I definitely wouldn't mind coming back to try other dishes though.

Samsen
68 Stone Nullah Lane 
Wanchai 
Hong Kong 

No comments:

Post a Comment