Sunday, January 15, 2017

Mimi Cheng's Dumplings

I am going to be posting some backlogged New York restaurants so Hong Kong friends please don't kill me when you get excited and then realize it's thousand of miles away!

I love love love dumplings and Mimi Cheng's is a must visit! I love how they use their mother's recipes and how they also keep things creative by partnering up with other popular restaurants for special monthly dumpling collaborations. Mimi Cheng's is started by two sisters and the shop is super cute and serves awesome food. I love how they named the restaurant after their mom and each dumpling has a adorable little background story. Apart from their regular menu, they have incredible monthly specials where they collaborate with a popular restaurant (I see that they now collaborate with businesses that aren't only restaurants now also!) in New York to create the special dumpling. I was lucky to try two great monthly specials, the Blacktap and Sunday Sauce dumpling. Apart from dumplings, they also serve other yummy dishes such as noodles and veggies.

Slather this on! It's delicioussss


Spicy Dan Dan Noodles - Soba Noodles, Housemade Chili Garlic Oil, Tahini, Baby Bok Choy
I love sesame sauce so this noodle was right up my alley. I loved how it really packed a flavor punch but also used very simple and health ingredients. The bok choy added a much needed crunch and the chili oil was fragrant and spicy. This is something I definitely want to try recreating myself at home. 

Reinvented Classic Dumplings - Pasture Raised Pork, Baby Bok Choy, and Cabbage
These dumplings were awesome! The skin was the perfect thickness and each dumpling was nice and crispy. The filling was well flavored and you can tell that the ingredients are fresh. The meat was not overly fatty but still very juicy. These dumplings are also large! They will definitely fill you up. 

Look at this beauty! 

Monthly Special Sunday Summer Dumplings - Pasture-raised Beef and Pork, Fresh Basil, Parsley, Mozzarella, and Parmesan Meatballs in Marinara Sauce 
These dumplings are definitely more on the heavy/hearty side! The marinara could be slightly more tart to offset the meaty dumplings but they were still very tasty. I usually would prefer a little more veggie in my dumplings though. 


Monthly Special Black Tap Burger Dumplings - Dry-aged Pasture-raised Beef, Caramelized Onions, Blue Cheese, Summer Tomatoes, Arugula, and Dill Buttermilk Sauce 
OMG these dumplings were BOMB. The tomato and arugula was the perfect freshness to the indulgent beef and onion. The dill sauce was also quite tart and creamy and was perfect with the dumplings. These dumplings are some of the best I've ever had and also super unique! I was so sad when they were no longer available. 



I love Mimi Cheng's and am so sad that I am no longer able to enjoy their great dumplings! The food is awesome and I also love the story behind the restaurant. I would definitely recommend going!

Mimi Cheng's Dumplings
179 Second Ave. 
East Village 
New York
NY 10003

No comments:

Post a Comment