Thursday, June 4, 2015

Tasca Chino

Tasca Chino is a new restaurant that combines Chinese and Spanish cuisine. The menu seemed pretty interesting so I was excited to try it but unfortunately the dinner was a disappointment.

The sesame bread sticks and the two sauces were pretty good but unfortunately was one of the better dishes of the entire meal

Scallion Pancakes - Anchovies, Fennel Sea Weed Salad
These were pretty standard, not bad, but not great. 

Teriyaki Marinated Octopus - Kimchi, Fingerling Potatoes, Daikon Radish, Chinese Garlic
The octopus was grilled well and was tender. The accompaniments were a bit random and did not go together to create a particularly harmonious dish. 

Patatas Bravas- Hand Cut Crispy Potatoes, Sichuan Pepper Aioli
The potatoes were crispy and fluffy on the inside. I felt that the seasoning on the outside was a bit too robust but this could be due to personal preference. Once again, not bad, but I've had better elsewhere. 

Sea Urchin Caviar Spoon - Marinated Sea Urchin, Caviar, Deviled Quail Egg, Radish & Olive Oil
I've had the sea urchin spoon at Toro which was indulgent heaven so I was looking forward to trying a similar dish at another restaurant. However, I almost wanted to shout out a remix of Zoolanders "WHAT IS THIS? A SPOON FOR ANTS?" when the server placed this in front of me. The little specks of sea urchin and caviar was laughable and the flavors also did not work for me. 

Paella De Coco - Coconut, Shrimp, Clams, Soybeans, Yellow Curry
The rice was much too mushy but the flavors were decent. The clams were a little too small though.

Clay Pots Chinese Rice - Chicken, Chinese Sausage, Bok Choy, Ginger & Bacon 
Another subpar dish... I rather get this in Chinatown.

Chicken Two Ways - Poached & Fried, Broccoli Rabe, Cashew Puree
Oh my god finally a good dish. The fried chicken was very meh but the poached chicken was very juicy and we all enjoyed it. 

Szechuan Dan Dan Noodles - Chili, Lamb, Pickled Radish
Another mediocre dish to round out the dinner. 
As you can tell, we were all disappointed with the meal and will not be returning. I think the concept is interesting, but I think the most appropriate word for this entire meal is "meh". The space is quite nice and our server was very friendly, but the food was not enjoyable. 

Tosca Chino
245 Park Avenue South 
New York
NY 10003

No comments:

Post a Comment