Friday, May 2, 2014

Sunchan

A lot of people have been telling me that Sunchan is a great Japanese restaurant near Columbia campus and I feel really silly for not going earlier! K and I finally tried it out and we just ADORED it. The place is nothing fancy, but you feel right at home and welcomed. The atmosphere is very cosy.  The staff is very friendly and nice and the food is absolutely delicious. There's always a crowd even on weekdays there but I have never had any trouble getting a table without a reservation. I have had the sashimi there and while it is decent, I think it is better to order the cooked food because that's where they stand out. I haven't tried the ramen there yet but E told me that it was very good too. I've tried many other dishes and everything has been scrumptious.

Unagi don
One of Sunchan's most famous dishes is their Unagi Hitsumabushi which is the Nagoya style of eating unagi don. More information is provided here. We didn't order that this time and opted for the regular unagi don because we wanted to try different dishes. The Unagi Hitsumabushi is for two people and looked quite large. I did not expect the unagi to be THIS delicious and our eyes both widened in shock when we had the first bite. The seasoning was perfect and the unagi just melted in my mouth gloriously. The rice was also amazing and was smothered in the sauce. I cannot wait to try the 
Unagi Hitsumabushi next time! 

Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura
When I first saw this, I thought that the batter would be too thick but it was actually just right when I ate it. The batter was so well flavored and was crispy yet not greasy at all. Very very solid tempura.

Robata Yaki Beef Tongue
The waitress told us that this dish wasn't too big so we decided to order it as well. But it was actually massive! 
It was flavored well and also cooked nicely with a yummy char on the outside.  The beef tongue was quite yummy but not the best I've ever had.
Sunchan
2707 Broadway (between 103rd and 104th)
Upper West Side
New York
NY10025

No comments:

Post a Comment