Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Laut

I haven't seen V in a while and I suggested we visit Laut in Union Square because it was on my ever expanding list of places to eat. V was super excited and told me that she used to visit all the time because she used to live near Union Square before she moved to Williamsburg. The food definitely did not disappoint and I would love to return. Our waiter was super duper friendly and maybe even a teensy bit overly perky but it was not a big problem, I guess he was just having a good day. The only annoying thing was this group of girls next to us that were talking SO loud and also snickered at me using my friends iphone light to shine on the food while I took a photo, but I could care less because now I have good pictures for a new post ha!

Roti Telur - Pancake Filled with Eggs, Scallion, Onion & Pepper Served with Curry Dippings 
The pancake skin was thin and had a great balance of chewiness and crunchiness from the exterior. I also enjoyed the filling of the egg and scallion. The curry dipping was perfect with the pancake and it was a great start to our meal. I will want to try the regular roti next time also. 

Hainan Chicken Rice - Roasted Chicken (with bone), Sesame Oil, Soy Sauce, Ginger, Garlic, Chili Sauce, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Cilantro & Served with Chicken Flavored Rice 
The hainan chicken was not cooked in the way that I was used to and the skin was much more brown and fried but this version was super yummy as well. The rice was infused with flavor and the dipping sauce was tangy and spicy. The chicken was juicy and they give you a generous amount. 

Char Kueh Teow - Flat Broad Noodles with Chives, Bean Sprouts, Eggs & Soy Sauce with Home-made Chili Sauce (with Chinese Sausage upon request) 
I loooove Char Kueh Teow and Laut's version was scrumptious. I highly recommend the addition of Chinese sausage. The noodle was fried well and was at the right dryness and not greasy. The  ratio of of veggies, egg, and sausage to noodle was also perfect. The noodles were saturated with the sauce and had a delicious chewy yet soft texture (those who like hor fun or similar flat noodles should know what I mean!) 
I really enjoyed Laut and would definitely come again!

Laut
15 East 17th Street (between Broadway and 5th Ave)
New York
NY10003

No comments:

Post a Comment