Monday, September 3, 2012

Manchurian Candidate

I am completely obsessed with spicy food, especially ma la spicy food but I hate sour and spicy such as buffalo wings. Blech. Although I love spicy food, I haven’t really found any specific Szechuan restaurant in Hong Kong. This may be because not everyone can do spicy so I have less of an opportunity to explore the selection of Szechuan eateries. I’ve recently heard really good things about Chili Figara but unfortunately it was booked full on the night I wanted to go. But I actually went there last week and will have a review soon! Since Chili was full I searched on openrice for another Szechuan option and found Manchurian Candidate. It is located in a building smack in the middle of Lan Kwai Fong. The building is quite ghetto and A and I were a little bit apprehensive when we stepped into the lobby. A thought I was trying to kidnap him or something haha! The restaurant is a private kitchen and the atmosphere is very plain and homey. The owners were very welcoming and extremely friendly which made the dining experience more enjoyable. Overall the food was quite good; it really did feel like you were eating at someone’s home. The price is also very reasonable so I would definitely consider returning again but I do feel that Chili Figara was better!

Pork Dumplings in Chili Oil
These spicy dumplings are one of my favorites and I will always order then if I see them on the menu. These were unfortunately a disappointment as the skin of the dumpling was way too soft and was barely holding the filling together. It was overcooked and mushy. The filling was normal, it would be better if it was meatier. The sauce was also a little bland as it felt like they did not strain the dumplings properly therefore everything became diluted. 

Dan Dan Mian
The dan dan mian is another one of my favorites but also sadly missed the mark. The soup did not have that fragrant peanutty flavor that I love so much but was instead watery and tasted like very normal noodle soup broth. The noodles were very mushy and overcooked. Do not order this!

Spicy Eggplant
Yay after two disappointing dishes, this dish was a lovely surprise. The eggplant was tender and was infused with flavor. The sauce was not too oily and was very tasty. We felt that it was not spicy enough though so told the kitchen that we were able to take the heat and to show us what they’ve got! This dish went very well with plain rice. Yum!

Pork Stir-fry with Cabbage and Chili
This dish was another winner. The pork was not too fatty and the cabbage was nice and crunchy. The seasoning was also done well and this was at the right spice level although it could be even spicier! The spice slowly grows on you though, initially you don’t really realize it and then you find out your mouth is numb. This was also a great dish to go with plain rice. 

Salt and Pepper Calamari
The calamari was crispy and the batter was not too thick. This dish was fine but nothing spectacular, just your regular plate of fried calamari. It tasted better when I dipped it in the sauce of the eggplant dish. 



The restaurant serves homey down to earth Szechuan food. The people are super friendly and warm and that made the dining experience much more enjoyable. The surroundings are not fancy, but it adds to this family style dining style. If you are looking for a reasonably priced, home style, spicy meal, definitely check out Manchurian Candidate! 

Manchurian Candidate
5/F
Winner Building
37 D'Aguilar Street
Lan Kwai Fong
Central
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment