Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bistecca

C and I went to Bistecca for lunch when I was still happily funemployed (one day I might regret this statement) because we heard that Bistecca had a great antipasti buffet lunch set. The buffet spread was very decent but the rest of the meal was an unfortunate disappointment. They first mixed up our order of steak with burgers and when our steaks finally arrived C and I wondered whether we should have stuck with the wrong order of burger as the steak was quite tough and filled with tendon! C had to butcher the life out of her piece. Although this lunch was disappointing I have heard many great reviews of Bistecca so I definitely wanted to give it another chance. DDSS, C, and I decided to go to Bistecca for a carnivorous dinner and I am happy to say that Bistecca has definitely redeemed itself and is now one of my favorites!

M9 Carne Crudo, Fresh Horseradish, Parmesan, Truffle Oil
Carne crudo means "raw meat" and if you love the traditional steak tartare, you will love this dish. The meat is chopped into much bigger pieces and the flavors are not as robust and sharp as regular steak tartare. The Parmesan and truffle oil is very fragrant and provides a elegant mixture of flavors and textures. The steak was fatty and I quite liked how it was cut into bigger pieces for it had a nice bite to it. One thing that can be improved is that it needed a sprinkle of salt. The bread was toasted perfectly, very crusty on the outside while still having the perfect balance of softness inside. 


Bone marrow 
The bone marrow had incredible flavor. Maybe one of the best I've had! I loved how it was simply flavored with salt and perhaps some herbs and pepper so I was truly able to enjoy the decadent flavor of the marrow. It was roasted to just the perfect state, the surface had just turned a glorious golden color and the insides were gooey and delicious. It was super fatty and was just perfect on top of the crunchy bread. I only wish we had more as this was gone in the blink of an eye! 

Delmonico Wagyu 24 oz - Medium Rare and Chicago Style
The Delmonico steak is a special preparation of steak consisting of a porterhouse or T bone. The steak has a T shaped bone, hence the name, where the larger side is a strip steak and the smaller side is a tenderloin steak. The T bone is grilled over a charcoal fire and is usually thick cut. This large amount of meat is intended to be shared between two or more people (unless you are a complete pig!). We shared this between 4 girls and we were all completely stuffed to our limits by the end of the meal. This steak was AMAZING. The best steak I have ever had was at Mastro's in Beverly Hills and I can safely say this may come at a close second or might even be on par with Mastro's! The outside of the steak was charred perfectly resulting in a lovely smokey flavor and crust. The meat was marbled perfectly with fat and was extraordinarily juicy. The flavor of the beef was also top notch. The fat had a very rich flavor and also got that great char on the outside. Apart from the obvious fact that the quality of the meat was high, the chef's skills were also displayed as the steak was executed perfectly resulting in a beautifully pink medium rare (if you try to eat this medium you really need to get your priorities straight). The steak also came with a series of sauces for your dipping pleasure. This is a piece of meat that will appear in your dreams from time to time. Definitely worth that extra hour on the treadmill!


Try and tell me that does not make you drool all over yourself. 

Charred Corn
YUMM!! Bistecca is on fire tonight! These sweet juicy morsels are enveloped in a luxurious cream sauce that is not too overwhelming and still maintains the sweetness of the fresh corn while the char gives it just that little amount of smokiness. Perfect to go with that glorious slab of meat. 


Zucchini Fries
The zucchini is tender and encased in a crunchy layer of batter and sprinkled with spices (is that paprika I spy?). These were very good but a tinsy bit greasy. I am sure I still had my fair share though!

Tiramisu - Amoretti, Almond Gelato
Like they say, there is always room for dessert. The tiramisu was a nice sweet ending to our meal. It was nothing spectacular but it was a nicely made tiramisu - sweet, creamy, with a nice kick of coffee.
Bistecca truly was a great dining experience and I am so glad I gave it another chance after that blasted lunch date. Every dish was delicious and the atmosphere was also very comfortable and inviting. My next steakhouse endeavor is Carnevino by Mario Batali so we will have to see how that measures up to Bistecca!

Bistecca 
2/F
Grand Progress Building
15 Lan Kwai Fong
Central
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment