Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Butcher Shop

After a raging good time in Miami for Ultra, I am back in Boston and pretty miserable about the weather and normal life overall. The weather has been utterly terrible but fortunately today it started to look a little better with some sunlight. I decided that I had to keep myself occupied in order to avoid descending into a post Ultra depression therefore I went to try out The Butcher Shop which was a restaurant that I have been looking forward to. I love the concept of having a refined butcher shop inside the restaurant. The weather was lovely and the restaurant had large windows to allow the sunlight in and for diners to engage in some street/people watching.

The large bar table that dominated the majority of the restaurant's space 
Great idea with the large windows to let the beautiful sunlight in 

Steak Tartare with Pickled Onions and Toasted Brioche
The steak tartare came premixed in a generous portion. The pickled onions added a nice kick to it and the brioche was toasted to golden perfection. I liked how the brioche was used for it was thicker and heartier as compared to normal toast and more suitable for something so strong in flavor such as steak tartare. The tartare was seasoned very well and full of bold flavors. Very delicious but I must say still not as good as the tartare I had at Sportello! 

Ricotta Gnudi with Bolognese and Parmesan
The gnudi had a nice bite to it, not too soft but still maintained that light delicate feeling. The bolognese had a rich meaty taste and one could tell that it was made with care. I felt that it was lacking a tad bit of salt yet overall was a very satisfying dish. 

Merguez
Failed to note down the full name of the dish. Felt that the presentation was a little bit off on this one, the dish looked scattered and disorganized. The arugula and nuts along with the sausage made for a very interesting and enjoyable texture and flavor combination. Although delicious, felt that the sausage was rather large and one would get tired of eating a entire dish of this as a main course. 
The butcher shop at the end of the restaurant. The chopping board area also served as a waiting area or a place where people could grab a casual drink. I thought this entire concept and set up was very innovative and charming. 
Overall the meal was enjoyable yet there weren't any specific dishes that blew me away. I think it is worth it to come here for the experience and perhaps it was lunch time therefore we were unable to taste the true strength of this restaurant which is its meats. The dinner menu consists of items that uses meat as its main component such as steaks and lamb chops therefore I will try and come back for dinner to taste whether the quality of the meat is truly of high standing. The store had honey, chicken stock, truffle oil, pâté, and of course, many cuts of meat. Will definitely buy some to enjoy at home if I return again to The Butcher Shop. 

1 comment:

  1. the sausage looks awkward just sitting there alone. the tartare looks soo good!

    ReplyDelete