Monday, April 11, 2011

Apple Banana Marmalade Phyllo Tart

After a glorious meal of my housemate Adam's beef brisket I was in the mood for something sweet and delicious. I remembered that I still had some phyllo left from making baklava earlier and also noticed some apples in the fridge. My thoughts instantly was to make Apple Strudel! But then some bananas also caught my eye and then I thought that it would be even more delicious to make it a mixed fruit strudel. The reason it turned into a tart instead of a strudel (which would be rolled up), was because I neglected to allow the frozen phyllo to warm up a little and therefore it was all cracked to pieces and I had to layer then instead of roll them. The final result was delicious though and I will definitely make it again! This was a great example of using what you have in the kitchen and spontaneously thinking up more ideas to improve a dish.

Ingredients: 


- 1 Banana
- 2 Apples
- Crunchy Oats bar or any other granola bar would work too
- Almonds
- Marmalade
- Sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- Cinnamon
- 1 packet of phyllo

Directions 
1) Slice the apple into thin sliced and put in the pain with a knob of butter over medium low heat. Also, take out the phyllo and place a damp towel over it.


2) Slice the bananas and toss in with the apples in the pan


3) Sprinkle in 1 tsp of cinnamon, or more if you like :)

4) Add in 1 tablespoon of marmalade and stir well 

5) Give the mixture a  taste and add sugar accordingly. I used about 1-2 tsp.

6) Smash up the almonds and the granola bar


7) Take out the phyllo dough and add 4 layers to the bottom of a buttered pan. Melt a stick of butter in a bowl and brush each phyllo sheet with butter.
This is what happens when you don't leave the phyllo out long enough and its too dry. Therefore make sure you take it out and leave a damp towel on top. 
8) Pour the fruit mixture over the bottom phyllo layer and add on another phyllo and butter layer. 

9) Sprinkle on the granola and nut mixture and add on another phyllo and butter layer on top. 


10) Bake in an oven at 350 F for 25-30 or until the top is crispy and golden brown.

11) Cut into squares and enjoy! I personally felt that it tasted even better overnight after putting the tart in the fridge. We didn't have any whipped cream or ice cream in the house but I felt that that would have made the dish! 



No comments:

Post a Comment