Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Pizzeria Mozza

I can't believe I haven't made a post about Pizzeria Mozza in LA yet! It has been one of my top restaurants this year and I get hungry just thinking about that amazing meal. The Mozza restaurant group is owned by Nancy Silverton, Joseph Bastianich, and Iron Chef Mario Batali. I have heard amazing things about both Osteria Mozza and Pizzeria Mozza but we decided to go to Pizzeria because my friend Annie and I were looking for a more casual evening and heard that the food was equally good at both branches. Osteria Mozza is more dressy and just right next door to Pizzeria. The atmosphere was very sophisticated yet cozy with dim lighting and a lot of dark wood and wine displayed on the walls. One note of complain was that although we had a reservation we had to wait for around 15 minutes before our table was ready which was quite annoying. Luckily the food was so amazing that I soon forgot about the slow speed of seating us.


The utensils and napkin were tucked into this envelop along with a postcard. Very cute idea. 
Started off with White beans alla Toscana with extra virgin olive oil and saba
Initially when I heard the words "white bean" I was not too excited about this dish but boy was I wrong. This toast was absolutely heavenly. The white bean paste had amazing flavor and the olive oil and vinegar on top of it just created the most amazing balance of flavors. The toast was perfectly crisp and hearty and held up the creamy texture of the bean paste perfectly.  
Prosciutto de Parma and bufala mozzarella 
What could possibly go wrong with such a glorious paring? The prosciutto was cured expertly and the bufala was creamy and scrumptious. I could eat this all day. 
Bone marrow al forno 
I absolutely adore bone marrow. This was such a simple yet amazing dish because it was executed perfectly with quality ingredients. The roasted garlic with the rich fatty bone marrow on top of that crusty bread was unforgettable. 
Funghi misti, fontina, taleggio, and thyme pizza 
Have been hearing many good things about their pizzas. They have a great selection but I knew I had to try this. The crust was not as thin as New York style pizza yet it maintained an amazing level of crunch on the edges. The mushrooms were cooked to smoky perfection along with gooey cheeses. The flavors were spot on and once again you can taste the quality and freshness of the ingredients. 
Was on the brink of bursting but my friend was raving about this one dessert all night. Definitely cannot pass this up! 
Butterscotch Budino, sea salt, and rosemary pin nut cookies
Oh. My. God. This dessert is sent from the heavens. The caramel budino was exquisitely creamy and rich with intensive caramel flavors in every bite. The sea salt added another dimension to the sweetness; unexpected combination but it literally blew my mind. Annie and I giggled foolishly as we ate this dessert because it actually was so delicious that it made us giddy with excitement. 
Our romantic little table amidst the wine 
Definitely one of the best meals I've had in LA and I had the food fortune of going to many delicious places during that trip! The food was absolutely splendid and I would definitely make a conscious effect to return the next time I am in LA.


Pizzeria Mozza 
641 North Highland Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036 

No comments:

Post a Comment