Monday, March 30, 2015

Minetta Tavern

While I'm sure you've all heard about me saying "I've been waiting to try this restaurant for a long time", I think Minetta Tavern really takes the cake here. I've been hearing about this burger for SO LONG and every time I try to book it on OpenTable the times are abysmal. While my eyes have been set on the burger for some, when M the steak eater extraordinaire declared that Minetta has one of the best Côte de Boeuf in town, I knew it was finally time for me to take the plunge and eat there. Thankfully W was able to get us a reservation for a decent time (calling is much better than OpenTable). Service was very friendly and I also loved the atmosphere. The steak was seriously AMAZING, the burger was delicious but the steak was really what blew me away. Everything was cooked well and I definitely look forward to returning. Definitely make sure you come with a decent sized group so that you can order the steak along with other dishes!

Pasta Za Za - Fresh Pasta with Pancetta, Sage, Parmesan, and a Fried Egg
This was very creamy and well made, the pasta was nice and chewy and the bacon was yummy and crispy. However, I did not think the flavors were very outstanding or memorable. Perhaps an extra kick of sage would make it more interesting. 
Special of the Day - Grilled Octopus 
Perfectly grilled octopus on top of a bed of assorted greens and beans. This was very fresh and flavorful and a great lighter dish before our gluttonous dishes came

Black Label Burger - Selection of Prime Dry-aged Beef Cuts with Caramelized Onions and Pomme Frites 
The famous famous burger. The patty was melt in your mouth and had a great beefy flavor but I didn't have a life changing moment when I bit into it. I know that many of my friends who swear by this burger love it for the patty but I do put a lot of emphasis on the add ons to my burger (cheese, onions, bacon, mushrooms, you get it) so maybe that's why it wasn't that mind-blowing for me. However I do think that this is definitely worth a try and it was an extremely solid burger.

YASSSSSS (this is two orders) 

Dry-aged Côte de Boeuf with Roasted Marrow Bones and Gem Lettuce Salad 
M was right when he said this was amazing. The meat was so incredibly tender and juicy and the char was just out of this world. The steak was cooked so perfectly and the flavor of the meat was also on point. It is definitely a fatty cut but the fat was not overwhelming and was just incredibly rich and flavorful. I had a couple bites with the marrow but it did get a bit too intense after a while The jus is so complex in flavor and takes the steak to the next level. I could not stop shoving my face and I think I shocked my male companions with my black hole consumption. 

What a beautyyyy 

Chocolate Souffle 
I smelt a strong scent of chocolate throughout the meal and I knew that this had to be something that I had to get at the end no matter how full I was. This was whatever you expect a perfect chocolate souffle to be, extremely rich, chocolately, and piping hot. This was the perfect end to the meal and I could not be more pleased. 
Minetta Tavern absolutely did not disappoint. The food was all delicious and I had a great night of food and drink with old and new friends. This is definitely not something I can eat all the time if I plan to fit into my apartment but an absolutely worthy indulgent meal!

Minetta Tavern
113 Macdougal Street
New York
NY 10012

2 comments:

  1. Love Minetta Tavern! I was hoping to email you a couple of questions, would you mind letting me know where to reach you? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paulina!

      Sorry it took me so long to reply. I did not get a notification regarding this message. You can reach me at stephanie.lau7@gmail.com :)

      Delete