Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Betony

Betony is a modern American restaurant that is overseen by the former executive sous chef of Eleven Madison Park. N treated me to a delicious dinner here and I enjoyed the food here a lot. Service was a bit unsatisfactory as our server took forever to tend to us and while I don't think he meant to be rude, his tone was a little off-putting at times. Apart from that, everyone else was very polite and friendly.

Note: Please excuse the terrible lighting here! I did not use my usual trick of using the iphone torch for lighting :)

"Lobster Roll" - Crème Fraîche, Parsley 
I was very curious about the name of this dish and asked our waiter whether he would recommend it. He gave us the usual "highly recommended" and while it was good, I would not think that it was a must order. I enjoyed how it was delicately made and it also had good flavors, but there was nothing too special about it. 

Foie Gras Bonbons - Cashew, Black Pepper
Mmmm this was absolutely delicious! I love foie gras and the addition of cashews was just genius. I could probably eat an entire mountain of these if I could.

Foie Gras - Hot
The menu did not mention that the foie came with pork belly so this addition was a bit of a surprise. The pork belly was also a strange pairing with foie and I did not really enjoy them together. The broth was quite flavorful and I enjoyed the addition of the scallion oil but I would not order this dish again. 

Grilled Short Rib - Mustard, Onion
The short rib was cooked perfectly and incredibly tender. The mashed potatoes that came with it was also luxuriously smooth and rich. I would like it though if they gave us a little more onions as it was teeny tiny as you can see on the plate. 

Poached Lobster - Turnip, Burgundy Truffle
N got this dish and he seemed to enjoy my short rib a lot more. This dish was beautifully prepared and was more on the sweet side but I thought it was quite delicious. It may taste a bit strange to some as it was quite sweet and buttery but I thought it went well with the lobster. But I can see how it may be a bit too sweet as a main course. I thought the addition of turnips was also not ideal but the freshness of the lobster, the sweetness of the sauce, and the earthiness of the truffle was very lovely. 

I really enjoyed my meal at Betony and I would be happy to return! While there were some small critiques on the dishes, overall the food is creative and executed very well. 

Betony
41 W 57th Street
New York 
NY 10019

No comments:

Post a Comment