Thursday, October 9, 2014

Ho Lee Fook

Ho Lee Hook is one of Hong Kong hottest new restaurants and it's been on everyone's tongues (and instagrams) since it opened its doors! I tried to go on a Monday with Y and was greeted by a dark restaurant... apparently it is closed on Mondays. But luckily this proved to be a blessing in disguise because when I went back with a larger group I realized that this was definitely the way to go because the dishes were rather large and there were a lot that I wanted to try! Ho Lee Fook serves Chinese/Asian cuisine with a funky twist with fusion elements. I think it is a good spot to go to before a weekend night out but unfortunately I did not think the food lived up to the hype. It was good, but not so amazing that I would be rushing to go back.



Wagyu Steak Tartare - Yunnan Style, Hot and Sour, Herbs
I thought this was an interesting spin on a steak tartare and the flavors were harmonious and interesting. The prawn crackers were also a smart pairing with the tartare and the shallots at the top gave it a pop of flavor and crunch. I also enjoyed the cucumbers because the freshness was a nice contrast to the otherwise heavily flavored dish. 

Fried Spring Rolls - Taro, Black Fungus, Chili Ponzu
These were hearty and nicely fried, however, it was not very memorable or unique.

Fried Chicken Mid Wings with Shrimp Sambal
The chicken wings itself did not have any distinct flavor, but it was fried perfectly and had a lovely crisped and brown skin. This really allowed the shrimp sambal to shine though because that sambal was so full of flavor and was just so rich and bold. This dish was definitely a highlight of the night. 

Mom's "Mostly Cabbage a Little Bit of Pork" Dumplings, Sasha Soy Dressing
These dumplings were well made but was not particularly amazing. I did not like how the vegetables inside was a bit undercooked and too crunchy. Also, there was some type of coriander or other herb that I hate inside the dumplings (however this is a personal preference) 

Grilled Pork Belly, Red Cabbage Salad, Roasted Chili and Almond Salsa
The pork belly was nicely grilled, the fat was crisped and the meat was tender. The cabbage salad was alright but I felt that there was too much water/sauce at the bottom of the plate. The roasted chili and almond salsa was refreshing with a little kick but the almond part of the salsa was not too noticeable. 
Prawn Lo Mein with Shellfish Oil, Grilled Shallot, Crispy Garlic
This was a bit bland for me. Perhaps you will like this if you enjoy very subtle flavors but I would not order this again.

Roast Wagyu Short Ribs, Jalapeno Puree, Green Shallot Kimchi, Soy Glaze 
Finally.. the dish I've been waiting for. The meat was super tender and I loved the caramelized glaze on top. I also really enjoyed the scallion kimchi which was needed to cut through the sweetness and fattiness of the short ribs. However... while this dish was good, it was not AS amazing and I was expecting it to be. But if I were to return I would order this again! 
Granny Smith Apple Granita, Calpis Sorbet, Mochi, Koji Jelly
The granita had a artificial flavor and this dessert just was not decadent enough for me but also not fresh enough for a light dessert. 
Matcha Sponge Cake, Chocolate Ganache, Hazelnut Praline, Strawberries 
This was also alright. The strawberries were good and the ganache was what you would expect from a chocolate ganache. 
Passion Fruit Sorbet, Lime and Coconut Marshmallow, Pomelo, Roasted Rice
I think this would be my favorite out of the 3 desserts. This had a very refreshing flavor profile and a nice combination of textures. 
I liked how they gave you fortune cookies at the end of the meal! It was a cute detail :) 
Overall, I appreciate the creativity and passion that is put into the food, you can definitely tell that the chef has put a lot of thought into the creation of each dish. However, I would not say it is a MUST VISIT but it is worth a try if you are curious because some of the dishes were enjoyable and it also has a fun atmosphere. If my friends wanted, I would not object to going again to try other dishes.

Ho Lee Fook
5/F
1-5 Elgin Street
Central
Hong Kong

2 comments:

  1. heard this is good. Still got to try this resto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has some yummy dishes! I may have gone with too high expectations though because so many people were talking about it. But it is worth a try :)

      Delete