Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sabah Malaysian Cuisine

Wanchai is not an area that I frequent but I know that there are many interesting and delicious restaurants there. My good friend suggested that we try out this restaurant one night and I was excited to get out of my usual comfort zone of Central and Causeway Bay for some scrumptious Malaysian food.

Fried turnip cake with shrimp, bean sprouts, and egg
Turnip cake is one of my favorite things to eat and mixed with all these other goodies made it extra interesting. The sprouts gave the dish a nice crunch and the egg added a delicious creamy aspect. The turnip cake was fried to a crispy perfection (I like it extra crispy) and resulted in a very fulfilling dish.

Chicken satays
The pieces of chicken were generous and the meat was juicy and succulent. The satays were full of flavor and had a nice smoky char to some of the pieces. Yum.

Laksa
The soup was quite flavorful and very creamy but definitely not as good as the laksa at my good friend L's house. I also didn't like how the noodles were thin vermicelli as I like the noodles to be a little more chewy and firm. Decent but not amazing. 

Banana roti
The rotis are made fresh and you can often catch the chef flipping the rotis into the air at one side of the restaurant. The banana roti was crispy on the outside and oozed out with a mushy sweet banana filling. I personally prefer the plain roti but this was made very well and tasted very interesting with the spicy and salty dishes.  

Beef rendang
This dish was bursting with flavor and it was a flavor explosion with each bite. It was quite spicy and had a very strong seasoning. The beef was tender and this went very well with the roti. Not something I could have all the time since it is quite strong but delicious for a once in a while treat!

Sabah Malaysian Cuisine
Shop 4-5
98-102 Jaffe Road 
Wan Chai
Hong Kong 

No comments:

Post a Comment