Thursday, August 27, 2015

Les Halles

Les Halles is a french restaurant that is famous for their steak frites and for having Anthony Bourdain as its former executive chef.

Escargots - Snails Roasted in Garlic Butter 
The snails were plumb and I loved soaking up the garlic butter with my bread. I also enjoyed how the snails were already out of the shell because sometimes I have difficulty extracting it and almost have a Pretty Woman moment. Having the snails out of the shell also allows the garlic butter to seep into the snails and result in a stronger flavor. 

Salade d’Auvergne arugula, endive, bleu d’Auvergne, roasted walnuts and apples with walnut vinaigrette
I loved this flavor combination and this salad was definitely needed as we had a lot of meat and fries.

Steak Tartare - Lean Top Round, Ground to Order
I really liked how this was ground to order and made table side, that was definitely a nice touch. The meat was a little too minced for my liking but the taste was on point. 


Foie Gras Poëlé aux Pommes - Foie Gras Sautéed with Apple, Walnuts, and Calvados Sauce
Guhhh this was delicious. The foie was smooth and fragrant and the apple's sweetness balanced that richness of the foie perfectly. 

Coq au Vin - Rooster Braised in Red Wine, Bacon, Button Mushrooms and Pearl Onion
This dish was incredibly well done and I was very impressed with the complexity and richness of the flavors. It tasted like how red velvet feels if that makes any sense. The pearl onions were very sweet and the chicken was juicy and tender. 

Noix de St. Jacques Poêléesaux Champagne - Pan Seared Scallops with Artichoke Barigoule and Champagne Cream Sauce
The scallops were seared perfectly and were plump and juicy. The artichokes were also able a great accompaniment to the scallops. 

Confit de Canard - Crispy Duck Leg Confit, Frisée Salad, and Truffled Potatoes
The skin was perfectly crispy and the meat was juicy. I still think Balthazar's duck confit is still #1 as it is just so incredibly flavorful and delicious but this is also well done. 



Overall I enjoyed the meal and think that this is a nice option when you want well executed French Brasserie fare. Balthazar is still my favorite but it is usually more difficult to get reservations so this would be a nice second choice. I also did not get the steak frites so I would definitely be happy to come back to try their iconic dish.

Les Halles 
411 Park Avenue South
New York
NY 10016

No comments:

Post a Comment