Sunday, May 17, 2015

Ivan Ramen

Ivan Orkin was originally from Long Island and discovered his passion for Japanese culture and more specifically ramen at a young age. He moved to Tokyo and opened a ramen shop there where it became a success. This was unheard of for a foreigner and in 2013 he opened his first shop back in the US. We went to the shop on Clinton Street  I've had a dish by him during a food fair in Brooklyn but never actually tried his ramen. T said she enjoyed it so we decided to go for dinner one night. I really loved the casual and hip atmosphere and there was a cute bar that we went to right next door while we waited. There were so many things on the menu that sounded delicious and I will definitely be back to try them out!

Chinese Greens & Garlic - Sweet Soy Pickled Love Sauce 
I loved the crispy veggies doused in the perfect amount of tangy sauce. This was a great way to wake up your palate and I also enjoyed the cheeky name of "love sauce". 

Kewpie Ebi - Fried Whole Prawns, Smoked Chili, Watercress, Lemon
Kewpie mayo is magic in a bottle and makes everything taste better. The shrimp was juicy and fried to crispy perfection but I feel that this is a dish you can get at other places but definitely recommended if you are in the mood for it! 

Tofu Coney Island - Miso Mushroom Chili, Yellow Mustard, Scallion
This is one of their most famous dishes and I LOVED it. The tofu had a super thin layer of batter and the miso mushroom chili was just exploding with umami. I could eat this entire plate myself. 

Triple Pork Triple Garlic Mazemen - Tonkotsu Broth, Pork Chashu, Whole Wheat Noodle
The noodles were super chewy and spingy and I loved how the entire bowl is smothered with scallions since I am a scallion fiend. The noodles had a very robust flavor and I've never had mazemen before but I quite liked the thick or "dry" aspect of it.
Ivan's Dan Dan Noodle "Dry Style" - Aromatic Sesame Oil, Spiced Pork Saute, Thick Whole Wheat Noodles, Egg Yolk
This was my friends and I took a bite and also loved it. I love dan dan noodles in general and this version was very interesting and delicious. The flavors were on point and once again I loved the texture of the noodles. 
I really enjoyed my time at Ivan Ramen and I think it's a great spot to go with good friends for a delicious casual meal. I definitely want to come back again soon! 

Ivan Ramen
25 Clinton Street
New York
NY 10002

No comments:

Post a Comment