Monday, November 24, 2014

Marta

Danny Meyer (Gramercy Tavern, Shake Shack, etc) has opened up a new restaurant named Marta in the Martha Washington Hotel that is inspired by the rustic offerings of Roman pizzerie with super thin crust pizzas and other hearty dishes such as meatballs and beer brined chicken. I was initially attracted to the truffle shuffle white alba truffle pizza offered here that I saw on their instagram but I knew I had to come and try their other dishes too once I saw their full menu. I met A for a late lunch date on a Sunday and although we opted for a non-truffle pizza, I already know that I will be back soon because I had an absolutely lovely dining experience here! The space was airy with high ceilings and the service was impeccable.

The entire meal was delicious and I was already telling A that I would love to come back, but something happened at the end which really sealed the deal for me! We ordered an ice cream panino but it was taking quite long and we ended up canceling it, we were then greeted with a lovely surprise by the Manager (Joseph?) when he appeared with two complimentary tiramisus! This kind of service is what takes a dining experience to the next level. We didn't wait for our initial dessert for too long at all and this sweet gesture was highly appreciated!

FRITTO MISTO DE MARE - Skate, Shrimp, Seppia, Bianchetti, Caper Mayo
The batter was seasoned perfectly, light, and crunchy. The selection of seafood was also perfect and I really loved the jumbo shrimp and the tender and flakey bianchetti. I would definitely order this again! 

POLPETTINE DI CONIGLO - Rabbit Meatballs, Black Olives, Ricotta
Extremely well executed meatballs. The meatballs were rich and tender and the tomato sauce and ricotta went perfectly with it. I also really enjoyed the addition of the scallions which gave it a perfect crunch and freshness. I personally did not care too much for the olives but they also did not take away anything from the dish. 

Close up mmmm

FUNGHI PIZZA BIANCHE - Fontina, Hen of the Woods, Chanterelles, Red Onions, Thyme
The amount and variety of mushrooms was amazing and the crust was also perfectly crispy. The topping to crust ratio was ideal and I loved the addition of the onions. A drizzle of truffle oil would be divine but this was really good on itself with the earthiness of the mushrooms. 



Tiramisu
This was the complimentary tiramisu that was given to us since we cancelled our other dessert. I actually thought that this was some of the best tiramisu I've ever tasted! It did not have as strong a coffee flavor as most but I adored the creaminess of it. Heavenly! 

I would definitely recommend coming to Marta and I already told my friends that I want to return! The food was delicious and I had a great time here!

Marta 
29 E 29th Street
New York
NY 10016

No comments:

Post a Comment