Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chôm Chôm

I love vietnamese food and I love chicken wings so when I heard that Chôm Chôm had excellent wings I instantly put this down on my list of "To eat this winter break". Unfortunately the food was only ok and I was not in chicken wing heaven. They weren't bad for any means but they just weren't living up to the hype. The rest of the food was also decent but not good enough for me to be yearning for a round 2. The fish was quite delicious though and I think I would be willing to dine here for that if I was in the mood for it.

"VFC" - Vietnamese Fried Chicken Wings, Garlic, Coriander, Mint
The flavors are quite prominent on the wings and they were hot and crispy but I felt that the coating was a little too hard and while they were good they were just missing that wow factor.
Pho Rolls - Grilled Beef, Fresh Rice Noodle, Pickled Daikon, Purple Basil
I felt that this was a very interesting take of the classic favorite of beef pho. The flavors were exciting and the idea was fun and unique. However, I would prefer having a normal bowl of pho over this. 

Beef in Betel Leaf - Beef, Curry, Shallot, Peanut, Spring Onion
The betel leaves had a very unique flavor and the beef was juicy. However the flavor was a bit too much for me after a few bites. 

Cha Ca Hanoi - While Sole Fillet, Turmeric, Dill, Vermicelli 
This would probably be my favorite dish of the night. The fish was super tender and seasoned perfectly. The vermicelli was the perfect accompaniment to the fish. Yum! 
Chôm Chôm is a nice spot for a quick bite and for some interesting new takes on traditional vietnamese staples but I don't think it is somewhere you must go if you have limited time in Hong Kong. If you do enjoy vietnamese cuisine it wouldn't hurt to give it a try. The food is made well and you can tell that the chef has given thought and effort into creating these dishes.
Chôm Chôm
G/F Block 2
58-60 Peel Street
Central 
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment