Friday, January 11, 2013

Wild Grass

Happy New Year! I've been so lazy with updating and I knew I had to get myself out of this rut before I end up with an avalanche of backed up food reviews! I have a bunch from the end of 2012 that I need to get on so here goes. I have read a bunch of glowing reviews about Wild Grass and was eager to try it out. H and I had high expectations and I was really looking forward to this meal following a great workout. Wild Grass' philosophy is organic ingredients prepared simply to focus on the quality and freshness. They are also advocating the concept of "nose to tail" dining which means that they will use every part of the animal and not waste anything. Unfortunately H and I were sorely disappointed with the meal up to the last bite of dessert, the hostess was very nice and seemed very apologetic that we did not enjoy our meal but we really doubt we would ever pay Wild Grass a second visit.

Oxtail Dumpling, herb, sour cheese, pickled roots, carrots , parsnips, and swedes
A slight poke of the fork into these dumplings (or even the first glance) already made us a bit wary, and our first bite only cemented our fears - the skin was incredibly thick and overly doughy. The filling was also very subpar and was definitely not rich enough to balance out these two slabs of chewy dough enveloping it. Disappointing start.

Baked Goat’s Cheese on Bacon Puff Pastry with Beetroot
This was a dish that many reviews mentioned and therefore I made sure to order it. The goats cheese bit too dry and just clung to my mouth which was rather uncomfortable. The flavor was fine. The puff pastry was not hot enough and seemed like it wasn't baked properly because it was has not risen sufficiently and fell apart awkwardly. The chopped walnuts also did not add much to the dish. Disappointment #2. 

Kidneys with Bacon, Malt Vinegar, Celeriac Purée and Onion 
This was also another highly recommended dish on the food reviews so once again I was hoping this would entice my taste buds a little. But no, this was disappointment #3. The kidneys were just little chewy globs that did not have much flavor. If anything it had a very raw and unappealing taste. The sauce was very generic and did not complement the dish. H and I took a bite and did not bother with this dish again. And honestly the presentation is quite revolting. 

Grilled Hanger Steak with Fries 
Kind of forgot the actual name of this dish, but all you need to know was that it was not good. I have read that the steaks are a bit on the lean side but the texture of the meat was simply unenjoyable. It was very chewy and bouncy. The flavor was also not particularly memorable either. Past reviews have commented on how delicious the fries were because they were smothered in the meat jus, I just thought they were soggy and unappetizing. H and I were not pleased. 

Suckling Pig with Apple, Parsnips, and Deep Mustard
This dish was just so incredibly sub-par. I think at this point I was not even really into eating anymore (imagine that!). The meat was normal, the flavors were similar to that of the previous dishes, it almost looks similar! A plate of cluttered brown components. The skin was also not crispy and rather rubbery. 

We also got the rhubarb crumble with dairy frozen cream to end this miserable meal. You would HOPE that maybe the dessert saved the day but no, it did not. The crumble had the very nauseating taste of old animal fat. H and I concluded that it tasted as though the oil from searing and stewing the meats were put into the crumble. I don't know why that would ever occur but that was how strange it tasted. I feel that Wild Grass could make good food, the philosophy and the atmosphere of the restaurant is well intentioned, yet the food was extremely disappointing! Hopefully Wild Grass will improve on the quality of the food soon (although it seems like other people enjoy it....)

Service was also a little spotty, the waitress was very nice, but she seemed completely clueless and also could not speak english. The majority of the clientele was western... I could not fathom how she was hired. Anyhow, this meal was definitely not what I was expecting and I will not be returning any time soon. I am a bit shocked at the discrepancies between my experience as compared to the other diners, because as much as I understand that everyone has difference tastes, the meal was simply not up to standard.

Wild Grass
1/F
4-8 Arbuthnot Road
Central
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment