Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ye Shanghai

Ahhh more backlogged restaurants! Really need to get a move on and get everything updated because I've got amazing meals planned up to next week already that will also require in-depth blog reviews! I just returned from Kuala Lumpur and am slowly getting back into the usual routine... trying to beat the post holiday depression by planning fun dinners and hitting the gym hard!

Ye Shanghai is a reputable Shanghai restaurant located in Pacific Place that was award 1 Michelin Star. I feel that I must have been here before when I was younger with parents but it is one of those places where I would not specifically remember. The food was very decent and along with the convenient location and appealing decor it is no surprise that this restaurant has made a solid mark in the Shanghai cuisine scene in Hong Kong.

Smoked Egg 熏蛋
Theses were a delicious start to the meal. The yolks were thick, creamy, and just the perfect consistency. The entire egg was very flavorful and I would have been happy to have another 2 plates of these.

Scallion Pastry 蔥油餅 
This version of the scallion pancake is more flaky and buttery as compared to its thinner counterpart. The scallion mixture was moist and complemented the pastry very well. Scallion pancakes are one of my favorites and this one definitely hit the spot!

Drunken Chicken 花雕醉雞
The chicken was infused with the fragrant aroma of the "fa diu" liquor and the pieces were also organized in a very organized and pleasing arrangement. I would not say this was the best drunken chicken I've ever had but it was definitely well done. 

Ham with Osmanthus syrup 桂花蜜汁火方
L absolutely loved this dish and was very eager for M and I to try this. M and I did not enjoy this very much as we thought it was too sweet and the flavor combination was a bit strange. 

Sauteed Shrimp 清炒虾仁 
Up to standard. Nothing particularly memorable. Perhaps could be a bit saltier but I am just being picky.

Sauteed egg whites with crab meat 賽膀蟹 
This was also a standard dish that was made well, I think it would have been a good idea if we also ordered a meat dish with stronger flavors to eat along with this dish and the shrimp because both dishes were a bit light in flavor. This is a dish that I always like to order at Shanghai restaurants and Ye Shanghai's version had a very generous amount of crab meat :) 

We also ordered xiao long bao which was also yummy. Ye Shanghai is definitely a great choice if you are looking for high quality Shanghai cuisine at a comfortable and convenient location. The service was friendly and polite and the food was very consistent. I look forward to coming to Ye Shanghai again to try out more dishes!

Ye Shanghai
Shop 332
Level 3
Pacific Place
88 Queensway
Admiralty
Hong Kong

1 comment: