Thursday, November 15, 2012

Daruma Ramen House 達磨日式拉麵

Sick with the monotonous activities of Hong Kong, H, T, L, and I decided to have a healthy Sunday where we are not buried under the covers hungover and on the verge of death. We decided to hike the "Dragon's Back" trail and planned to get to the trail by 2 pm. Naturally we met up around 3 and did not arrive to the trail until 4 pm. We also ensured we pigged out before engaging in our hike...

I've been to Daruma Ramen House before but did not take any photos therefore did not blog about it. The ramen is quite good, but still does not beat out Butao as number 1!

Daruma Ramen R8 - Tonkatsu Broth Ramen with Mentaiko Paste, Pork Belly, and Chashu
This is one of Daruma's most popular choices and I believe was the same choice that I had the first time I came here. The tonkatsu broth is rich but definitely not as flavorful as Butao's. The mentaiko paste is yummy and is a unique aspect of Daruma's ramen. The chashu was a bit too fatty for my liking but surprisingly the pork belly was tender and had just the right amount of meat and fat. I recommend getting an extra plate of scallions. Overall this is a solid bowl of ramen but H did think that the broth was a bit sweet for his tastes. 

Purple Yam Croquettes
L spotted this on the menu and I am so glad she did! These croquettes were really scrumptious, the yam filling was moist and sweet while the outside panko crust was crispy and not overly greasy. Will definitely get this again next time!

Deep Fried Gyozas
I thought these were ok, they were just normal deep fried gyozas... nothing special. But then again I guess its hard to make some mind blowing gyozas that will change me forever. The dumplings were a bit TOO deep fried for my liking, I would have preferred it if only the undersides were crispy. T really liked these those and gobbled them up.

Cheese Mochi
Yay! My favorite. The best cheese mochi are the ones from Sumi Yakitori, but these are also quite yummy. Daruma also serves these already indulgent treats with a plate of condensed milk... which is a added bonus. 

Mentaiko Stuffed Chicken Wings
The flesh of the chicken was quite moist and the mentaiko filling was flavorful. I would have wanted the chicken wings to have a bit more meat but these were quite yummy nonetheless. 

Although Daruma is not as good as Butao, they offer very solid food and is a good choice for a satisfying bowl of ramen. They also serve other foods such as the mochi and chicken wings unlike Butao who only serves ramen. The lines here are also not as long (although both times I've been here was not during peak hours). Definitely keep Daruma in mind if you are craving ramen!

Daruma Ramen House 達磨日式拉麵
92E
Tung Lo Wang Road
Tai Hang
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment