Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Chomp Chomp

Chomp Chomp serves Singaporean and Malaysian Hawker food and since I LOVE cereal prawn I was really excited to try it out with G. I thought the meal was pretty good but I think it lacked a little bit of that extra oomph. However, I did have a enjoyable meal and think it is a decent choice if you want these dishes in a less hectic atmosphere as compared to Nyonya.

Crispy Cereal and Curry Leaves Crusted Head On Prawns
While the dish itself was perfectly fine, it was just mediocre when compared to the cereal prawns I had in the actual hawker centers in Singapore. The cereal coating was not as crunchy and decadent and prawns were also not as juicy and meaty. I did love devouring the shrimp heads though. 

Kerabu Sotong - Spicy Calamari Salad with Tomatoes, Cucumber, Mint, Galangal, and Calamansi
I am an avid hater of cilantro so I had to carefully pick away each stem before eating this dish. The flavors were refreshing and the calamari was tender and meaty. I loved the crunch of the cucumber and the juicy plump tomatoes along with the crispy garlic on top. 

Chye Tao Kueh - Fried Radish Cake, Shrimp, Chinese Sausage, Chives
Yum yum yum I love turnip cake! This was a very satisfying dish but I think it would be even better if the turnip cake was a bit more brown (but that could be just me as I like this EXTRA crispy). It was pretty good but could use a slight flavor kick. I am no expert in Singaporean cuisine but it just seemed to lack a little something. 


Char Kway Teow - Wok Fried Rice Noodles with Clams and Shrimp
I really enjoyed this dish! Flat noodles are some of my favorite types of noodles and the savory and sweet sauce was excellent. 
Overall I think Chomp Chomp is worth a try but probably not the best Singaporean food in the city (and probably a little pricier than some places). However, the atmosphere is lovely and the staff are incredibly warm so I would recommend coming here if you are in the mood for some Singaporean dishes!

Chomp Chomp
7 Cornelia Street
New York
NY 10014

No comments:

Post a Comment