Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Candle Cafe

Those who have followed my blog for a while (or ever eaten with me) know how much I love meat. However, I obviously don't eat a 22 oz piece of steak everyday or else I would not fit in my apartment and also love my veggies and tofu (it's all about balance haha!). One thing I never got into was places that specifically serve vegan or vegetarian food and I particularly hated "fake meats" as I thought they were so weird and unnatural. However, I've actually been exploring vegan options more often than usual thanks to vegan colleagues and friends. I had a super delicious cupcake the other day and also had a lovely meal at Candle Cafe with my new dear friend M. The food was super yummy and I am definitely excited to explore more of the vegan scene in New York.

Potato Latkes - Ginger-Apple Sauce, Cashew-Horseradish Sour Cream
The latkes are not as crispy as I would like but they were still pretty tasty! I loved the ginger apple sauce and little bits of crunchy apple slices on top. 

Artichoke, Leeks, and Pesto Brushetta 
Mmm this was delicious! The pesto was super flavorful and the artichokes and leeks were cooked perfectly. I loved this dish!

Penne with Peas, Corn, and Zucchini 
I usually hate peas but these were fresh so I actually enjoyed it! The veggies were fresh and sweet. The pasta was also cooked well and held up against the hearty tomato sauce. Not a super memorable dish but it was tasty and filling! 

Pomegranate Chipotle Grilled Tempeh - Sweet Potato Puree, Sautéed Brussels Sprouts, Leeks, Mole Sauce, Fennel-Apple Salad 
I had a small taste of this from M and loved it. The sweet potato was so delicious and I loved the addition of the pomegranate. The flavors worked so well together and I loved the different textures also. 

Sweet Potato Pie - Coconut Whipped Cream, Cinnamon Ice Cream 
The crust was not the best but the sweet potato with the cinnamon ice cream worked really well together. 
I am so glad that I broadened my tastes and gave this a try. I also had By Chloe (a super popular vegan spot) and will be posting a review on that soon! I am also excited to try out this vegan sushi place called Beyond Sushi.

Candle Cafe 
2427 Broadway 
New York
NY 10024

No comments:

Post a Comment