Saturday, December 14, 2013

Cascabel Taqueria

I walked by this cute mexican restaurant when I was walking back from main campus to my apartment and was curious about whether is was good or not. There was a good amount of customers inside which is usually a good sign. T was here to visit me and we decided to come here for lunch before heading to Electric Zoo since it was near my place. The reviews on yelp were not too good but I thought it was pretty decent. I don't know if I would make a point to come here but if I was craving for a Mexican meal near home I would keep this place in mind! Flavors were really robust in all the dishes and the servings were HUGE.

Bloody Marys
I think they were having some buy one get one free special. These were ok but I think it was a bit too salty for me (this was months ago though so my memory is fuzzy oops). I did like how it came in cute mason jars though. 

Guacamole Tradicional Con Tostadas
The guacamole was pretty decent. It was creamy and fresh. Nothing amazing just regular guacamole thought. 

Pescado - Crispy yellowfin tuna belly / Hearts of palm / Olives / Onions / Thai chili
I love love love fish tacos but this was not too great for me. I expected the fish to be much more fatty and soft since it was tuna belly (toroooo oh yes) but it was a little bit dense. The ridiculous load of olives was also a bit overwhelming for me. The flavors were pretty interesting, and I enjoyed it for the first few bites, but I don't think I would order this again. 

Carne Asada - Sliced yucatan achiote hanger steak / Oyster mushroom / House made creme / Crispy shallots / Cilantro
I think this was my favorite taco of the day. Once again you can see that the serving was MASSIVE. We actually packed a lot of this to go and had a great time eating leftovers one night :) The meat was bursting with flavor and the crispy shallots were also very strong in flavor. I think it would be even better if there was some fresh salsa or something acidic to balance out the strong flavors. 

Chorizo - House made mexican spiced sausage / Smoked paprika / Onion / Cilantro
T loves chorizo and I think he quite enjoyed this. I had a bite and it was also very flavorful but I personally did not like the texture of the meat and preferred my big chunks of carne asada :D 
Please keep in mind that the servings are ginormous. We thought they would be these small tacos and we could share 3 orders but we were so so wrong. I think this is a good addition to the neighborhood but I am excited to explore other mexican places in NYC.

Cascabel Taqueria
2799 Broadway (W 108 St and Broadway)
New York
NY 10025
USA

No comments:

Post a Comment