Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sobaya

I still have one more post for LA and a TON for Hong Kong from the summer but I feel that I must start posting about my New York restaurants so I'll start that now and will add in LA and HK ones periodically! Sobaya is known for its soba (duh) and I've heard really great things from my friends here. I've been eating like a crazy pig these few weeks and was craving some delicious but light food so I decided to go to Sobaya for dinner while C was in town. Sobaya imports its buckwheat flour from Japan and you can tell that they really take pride in their food. Apart from soba, they also offer udon, various types of appetizers, and also sushi rice bowls. I love how you are able to pick different sizes for the soba and the rice bowls so I could mix and match my dinner. The atmosphere was clean and cosy, very traditional japanese style. Service was polite and efficient. They don't take reservations so aim to get there either early or later for weekends. We went on a Thursday night around 7:40 and the wait was only 15 minutes so it might be smart to go on a weekday!

Agedashi Tofu
The tofu was a bit too firm for my tastes but the crust was nice and crunchy. I usually prefer a silkier tofu but the seasoning was decent.

Sake Oyako Don - Salmon and Salmon Roe Rice Bowl
The salmon sashimi was decent, the slices could be a little larger. Texture was quite nice. The ikura however was excellent, slightly firm with a delicious burst of savory goodness. The rice was also cooked and seasoned well. I ordered the mini don and the portion was actually quite sufficient.

Uni Cold Soba - Fresh Uni with Grated Mountain Yam
YUM! This was deliciousss. The uni was incredibly fresh and sweet. The amount was also quite generous. The soba had an amazing texture, very firm and perfectly chewy. The mountain yam was quite interesting, it was very slimy and gooey but went very well with the soba. I felt that the soba dipping sauce could be slightly more salty but I know that you are suppose to enjoy the delicate flavor of soba. I think next time I will add some ikura and take it to the next level. 

Uni closeups are always fan favorites 

Sobaya was delicious and I will definitely be returning. I was stuffed after the meal but did not feel gross and heavy. The flavors were so clean and fresh and you leave feeling satisfied and healthy. I will definitely be returning!

Sobaya
229 E 9th Street
New York
NY 10003
USA

No comments:

Post a Comment