Sunday, August 4, 2013

Ink

As you all must have expected, I did a crazy amount of research and planning before my trip to LA to ensure that I would be able to savor all the newest restaurants along with my old favorites. It was actually slightly stressful trying to cram everything in and I knew I would probably have to stop eating for a few days after this pig out trip galore. Ink is the signature restaurant of Michael Voltaggio, the winner of Season 6 of "Top Chef". This fact alone can already guarantee that this restaurant will create a substantial amount of buzz and Ink has been described as the most eagerly anticipated restaurant in years. As if this weren't enough, Ink was also named "Best Restaurant in America" by GQ and Voltaggio was also awarded the Best New Chef Award by Food & Wine. With such impressive accolades, I knew I had to make a reservation ASAP and get my butt over to Ink. Another reason we had to go to Ink was because T is a complete nutter for steak tartare and Ink is rumored to serve some of the best in LA. Making a reservation was surprisingly not stressful at all with OpenTable (I laaaave OpenTable) and making changes to the number of people was also a breeze. The decor at Ink was quite simple while maintaing a edgy and modern vibe. The hostess and servers were all friendly and service was professional and swift. It was really dim in the restaurant so it was quite hard to take decent photos therefore some used flash while some didn't.


Charred Avocado, Dungeness Crab, Almond Sponge, Smoked Oil
The flavors in this dish was quite interesting but it was not my favorite by any means. The crab was nice and sweet and the avocado was charred nicely to result in a smokey and creamy taste. I quite disliked the almond sponge... it tasted like overly mushy bread soaked in a strange almond liquid. 

Oysters, Half Dozen, Mignonette Ice
The oysters were very fresh and the mignonette ice was a nice innovative touch as it made the oysters even more refreshing.

Asparagus cooked in hay, Goat's Milk Ice, Medjool Date
The first thing that we noticed from this dish was the interesting plating. ALL the food was swept to one side of a large place. The asparagus were cooked perfectly, maintaining a great crispy while not undercooked. The flavoring however was nothing to get excited over, the goat's milk ice was a bit strange for my palate but I will give credit in that it is an interesting approach. 
Beef Tartare, Hearts of Palm, Sea Bean Chimichurri, Horseradish, Rye
The dish that T has been watching for... and it didn't disappoint! The tartare's flavor was less savory and acidic as the traditional version which I personally preferred but my dining party still enjoyed this dish. This version was slightly more sweet but the flavor combination was still well executed and harmonized. 

Hamachi, Citrus Kosho, Smoked Buttermilk, Tomato, Oaxacan Cheese
The textures of this dish was what stood out. The flavors weren't very exciting, it tasted fine but was not particularly innovative. I do praise the usage of various ingredients though to achieve a nice balance of textures. The hamachi was firm and smooth, the smoked buttermilk was creamy and soft, and the cheese provided that much needed crunch. 

Cottage Toast, Broccoli, Quail Eggs, Uni
This dish was definitely a treat for the eyes. I was lucky that my friend C did not like uni much so she gave me extra :)! This dish was quite comforting as the ingredients created a enjoyable flavor yet I felt the addition of uni may not be needed as all the ingredients actually mask the flavor of the uni. The addition of uni is actually optional on the menu. 


Buckwheat Noodles, Golden Roe, Smoked Cream, Espellete
Blech I hated this dish. I was actually rather excited for this but it was nauseatingly fishy. Our table was very divided on this dish, some quite liked it while I found it to be quite repulsive. 

I actually forgot the name of this dish..... I tried to search on yelp but can't! 

Octopus, Ink, Shells, Young Fennel, Pimento
This dish was one of the stars of the dinner. The octopus had a gorgeous smokey flavor and was grilled to perfection. I never really thought I would enjoy octopus much but this changed my mind. 

Suckling Pig, Mustard Bavaroise, Green Apple, Miso, Chicarron
I was near exploding point by the time this dish came. I had a small bite and remember it was quite nice. The suckling pig was tender and the skin was crispy and nicely colored. The addition of green apples also provided a tangy sweet element to offset the fattiness of the pork.

Corn, Housemade Doritos, Nori, Green Onion
I felt that the corn could be slightly less mushy and more creamy... the doritos were a nice touch and the idea overall was very interesting. The flavors were also quite delicious but the only complaint is the texture. 

Overall, I think Ink was a very interesting dining experience, but would I make a point to return? Probably not. Maybe I am just not a big fan of these innovation cooking techniques but I just didn't think it was a dining experience where I would be eagerly urging my friends to go. I can definitely see the passion and the creativity involved so I do think that if you are into this type of innovative cuisine it could be worth your while.

Ink
8360 Melrose Avenue 
Los Angeles
CA 90069
USA

No comments:

Post a Comment