Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Stone Nullah Tavern

It's always so exciting when you find a new favorite spot for food! Stone Nullah Tavern is located in the historical Stone Nullah Lane in Wanchai and is brought to you by the same team behind Posto Pubblico, Linguini Fini, and Pizzeria Pubblico. The restaurant is led by executive chef Vinny Lauria and he describes the food as "new american fare" in which world cuisines are fused based on seasonal ingredients. I've had great dining experiences in two of the locations mentioned above and therefore had high hopes for this visit. I am happy to say that I LOVED the food here and this may actually be the best out of all the other ventures (regardless of the difference in cuisine etc).

Service was impeccable and friendly, our server allowed me to try 3 different types of wine before I made my choice. He was also very knowledgeable with his recommendations and was very social and a pleasure to talk to. The restaurant is designed with a rustic and vintage theme and the restaurant had a great laid back yet sophisticated atmosphere.

Tater Tots - Lardo Aioli, Sriracha Ketchup
I LOVE TATER TOTS! These little indulgent nuggets were wonderfully crispy and fluffy on the inside. Aioli is also one of my favorite condiments and its garlicky creaminess went so well with these yummy tater tots. Regular ol' ketchup was also pimped up with a dash of spicy sriracha sauce. If you order these with a group you better grab them quick before they get all gobbled up!


"Chicken Fried" Tenderloin - Sausage Gravy
The reason the "chicken fried" is in quotation marks is because it's not really chicken but beef! Chicken fried tenderloin, or more commonly chicken fried steak, is a piece of steak that is breaded and deep fried. The name is attributed to its similar preparation method to fried chicken. This dish was very tasty and just made you feel so fat but in a good way (if that's ever possible). The steak was very tender and the breading maintained a decent amount of crispiness around the edges. The sausage gravy was thick and creamy and the sliced scallions added the perfect amount of kick to the dish. This is so Asian of me but I would totally eat a bowl of rice to this dish! 

Liver and Onion Dip - Chicken liver, Smoked Onion, Crispy Potato
This was the ULTIMATE star of the entire dinner, and this is saying a lot as every dish was good! The dip was rich, creamy, and smooth. The flavor of the liver was also strong and the onion also shone through without neither of the ingredients overpowering one another. The potato crisps were cut to just the right thickness and was the ideal accompaniment to the dip as it was firm enough for such a decadent paste but also not too heavy to make one too full from this dish. We actually ordered two of this dish because we loved it so much! 

Brussells Sprouts - Lardo, Malt Vinaigrette
The brussels sprouts were beautifully caramelized on the outside and maintained the perfect amount of crunch. Although these were cooked well, my attention was more focused on the other dishes.  

Pig's Foot and Ear Sizzlin' Sisig - Calamansi, Pickled Chilies, Fried Egg 
C was adamant that she ordered this dish as she loves eating the random bits and pieces of animals. I thought that this dish was tasty, but it would not be something that I would specifically want to order again. The dish was sufficiently flavored but I felt that the overall flavor profile was not specifically interesting and the pieces of meat was also cut too small and a bit dry for my liking (it could be that the ingredients called for this type of cutting but it just not to my personal preference).

Mac & Cheese - Egg Yolk, Sharp Cheddar
I really liked how the pasta shells were a bit larger than the ones usually used for mac and cheese. The pasta was al dente and each shell was coated with the luscious cream sauce. The addition of egg yolks made the sauce richer and also resulted in a very visually appealing dish. Another simple and delicious dish!

Chicken Wings - Chili, Garlic, Honey, Ranch
Being the greedy girls that we were, we decided to order one more dish (after ordering seconds on the liver dip hehe). The chicken wings were doused in a sauce that tickled your taste buds with an array of flavors: garlicky, sweet, then a kick of spice! The coating of the wings was crispy and not too thick and the meat was still juicy. The robust wings were paired with a generous cup of ranch dressing which I happily dunked my wings.

Although I liked some dishes more than others, every dish was good at Stone Nullah Tavern. This was definitely one of the highlights of my dining ventures and I am really excited to go back again! The chef also came outside to talk to our table a few times and was very amicable and showed that he cared about his food and his customers. The chef actually gave me his card as he was interested in seeing my food review but I unfortunately lost it! Hopefully he will be able to see my review and read about how much my friends and I enjoyed it. I already have a few other dishes that I spotted on the menu that I want to try so it will not be long before I step food into this exciting new restaurant again!

Stone Nullah Tavern
69 Stone Nullah Lane
Wanchai
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment