Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Who's got crabs?

So H wanted a clever title for his crab feast... so here you go :D Hairy crab season starts from September when female crabs are the most delicious, as mid october rolls around however, male crabs are known to provide the most decadent roe. I have never really taken advantage of this seasonal delicacy and was determined this year to get a taste of hairy crab roe while it is in season. We debated over a number of restaurants but finally decided to go over to H's place to have a homestyle crab feast.


Of course there is plenty of 花雕... after a while this was used to play stone paper scissors with. Eeee

YUMMM such good chicken wings. We were all starving because we were waiting for late people to show up but luckily these glorious chicken wings were brought out from the kitchen and we hurriedly skipped over to nom on them.

Ok so we didn't just have crabs... we had a lot of other food...





The star of the show... 

So my mother specifically told me to remove the stomach... I've also heard its the heart...lung... or star shaped object. Whatever it is, it's suppose to be the worst part of the crab. Crabs are known to be very "cool" in terms of chinese medicine which causes you to faint and stomach aches. To counter this, restaurants will serve you a ginger tea to balance out your body. Well... obviously I did not listen to anything that my mom says and ate everything (well not the shell duh) and did not drink a drop of ginger tea. And yes I felt quite unwell the next day... I am not sure if it was because of the amount of alcohol I consumed or the crab, but either way, maybe mom was right.

mmmm

Yesssss this is what I have been waiting for





This gathering was a ton of fun, but eating crabs is a serious workout. I doubt I would want to eat crabs at home next time and will opt for a restaurant where all the work is done for me. Some people enjoy the entire process of picking out the meat and removing the shell... not me. I will also remember to drink a ton of ginger tea next time...

3 comments:

  1. I had crab tonight too! You must have been so full after all of this... haha!

    It's actually really funny, cos I recognise my friend's friends in your photos, lol? Aric and Henry, I think their names are? Anyway, small world! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! omg haha yes small world indeed. who is your friend? maybe I know her/him too.

      Delete
  2. I know Aric and Henry too!
    your blog is amazing stephanie.

    ReplyDelete