Sunday, July 15, 2012

Ramen Kureha 拉麵來

Ramen shops have been on fire recently in Hong Kong and there are a couple of big name players such as Butao, David Ramen, Daruma, and Tamashii. Kureha is also starting to get a bit of buzz and I've also heard that they have a truffle ramen... and as you all know I am a total sucker for truffle so clearly I had to go and see what this is all about. I tried Daruma a few days ago and unfortunately did not have my camera so was unable to document the experience :( the ramen at Daruma was quite good but still was unable to knock off Butao's #1 spot in my heart. The cheese mochi was absolutely scrumptious though and I wouldn't mind going back just for those! Daruma also has this sinfully yummy mentaiko pasta that they put on top of the ramen.

The decor of Kureha was quite charming, it had a lot of old japanese toys and decorations inside which made the place have a retro feel to it. T and I went around 2 pm on a Sunday and had to wait around 5 minutes for a seat. 


Slurp slurp everyone busy with their ramen  
Chicken Broth Ramen with Extra Collagen 
This was T's bowl of ramen and I only tried a spoonful of the broth. I did not like it very much and he didn't seem to either as he commented that he might just stick with the standard tonkotsu broth next time. It wasn't bad, I just do not prefer it as I like my broth so be very rich and strong. 

Collagen 
This was the glob of collagen provided with the chicken broth ramen. Personally I thought this was kind of gross but it melted into the broth and we all know collagen makes your skin bouncy and supple :) 

Tonkotsu White Truffle Ramen
Mmmmm this bowl of ramen was quite delicious. You might think that the truffle flavor with ramen is a bit strange but I actually thought the combination worked quite well. The mixture of mushrooms also worked really well with the truffle broth and provided a nice array of textures. The cha siu was well balanced between fat and meat but could be a bit more flavorful. The noodles were firm and I saw that they were made in-house! At first I felt that the amount of truffle was too little and I asked the waiter if it was possible to add a bit more. They were very accommodating and said they would be willing to add more this time - brownie points! The ramen was definitely much better after the addition of extra truffle! I feel that they could perhaps use truffle oil as well to make it more aromatic and cost efficient as truffle oil is not too expensive. Although Butao is still my favorite I would definitely come here for this truffle ramen because it is a very unique choice and I really enjoyed it. 

With all the sides :) Not all mine... 

Onsen Egg
T told me that the egg here is the bed, and he was right. I've tried the half cooked eggs at all the other ramen shops I've been to but this is definitely the silkiest and delectable onsen egg out there. My only complaint is that it was a bit cold. I tried to heat it up a little but burying the egg under my noodles but my efforts were in vain. Regardless the egg was still creamy, silky, and oh so good. 

Kureha has definitely made it to my list of to-go to places for ramen! My next ramen stop is to be Tamashii but I think I may need to take a break from ramen for a little. 

Ramen Kureha 拉麵來
20-22 Wun Sha Street
Tai Hang 
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment