Sunday, July 8, 2012

Greyhound Cafe

I've realized that a majority of my reviews are relatively favorable, but this does not mean that it is because I am easily pleased. It is because I've been lucky enough to have visited a lot of quality restaurants and also because I always do my research before visiting a new place. Greyhound Cafe gathered a good amount of buzz when it first opened and I've passed it numerous times while going home from the gym in IFC yet I never got around to stepping foot inside. I was meeting A for a casual dinner one night so suggested that we check it out. Greyhound came from Thailand and is supposedly very popular there, I am not sure how good it is over in Thailand, but the Hong Kong Greyhound was a complete disappointment!

Greyhound Famous Fried Chicken Wings
According to the menu, there is a legend that once someone dropped an entire batch of these chicken wings into sand but since they were so good they just dusted them off and continued nibbling. Whoever thought of this legend must have been crazy because I definitely did not even enjoy them regularly much less covered with sand! The wings had a faint taste of fish sauce and was way too over fried. The meat has lost all its moistness and the wings were just little dried up sticks. 

Spaghetti with Corned Beef and Fresh Chilies
This dish sounded very delicious in concept, but in reality it was terrible. The pasta was undercooked and the corned beef was very dry. The chili flavor was nonexistent. 
Phad Thai with Fresh Prawn
This dish was actually decent. Nothing special just regular pad thai. Definitely not the best phad thai I've ever had either. 

Crispy Sweet Corn with Crabmeat 
This was another dish that was acceptable. The corn and crabmeat patties were pipping hot and went well with the sweet chili sauce. Although this was not bad, it is not something I would specially come back to Greyhound for just to eat. Also, as the dish cooled, the patties felt too starchy and was not good anymore. 

All in all, this was not an enjoyable dining experience. The service was also very mediocre. The waitstaff were not rude, just not properly trained. I feel that Greyhound is only able to get away with this quality of food because of its prime location. I have heard that certain dishes are better but Greyhound Cafe is definitely not a place I am keen to return to!

Greyhound Cafe
Shop 1082
Podium Level 1
IFC
Central
Hong Kong

No comments:

Post a Comment