Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bistro Jeanty

The food in Napa was delicious but every meal was very heavy and filling, I went to Bistro Jeanty near the end of our trip and although it was absolutely delicious, we all could feel the effects of the food eaten in previous days slowly accumulate. Bistro Jeanty was recommended to me by a close friend and I was so glad that I got to eat there before leaving Napa. The restaurant had a very cozy and lively atmosphere and one almost felt like they were in a bustling bistro in Paris.

Escargots with garlic pastis butter
Escargots were juicy and meaty and the garlic butter was very flavorful but not overwhelming. Only wished the dish was a bit bigger.

Creme de Tomate en Croute - Tomato soup in puff pastry
This dish was the most raved about dish on the yelp page for Bistro Jeanty. The tomato soup was creamy and bursting with the rich flavor of tomatoes. The puff pastry was light, fluffy, and buttery. Every bite of soup and pastry was a match made in heaven. So comforting, simple, and delicious! 

Pieds de Cochon Persilles - Pig's feet and haricots verts salad with a shallot mustard vinaigrette
The execution of the dish was very well done and the pig's feet was delicious, but as an appetizer this dish was way too big and filling. The amount of pig's feet was also astounding and I felt that one cube would have been sufficient as an appetizer. It was also rather heavy and one got sick of the gelatinous chunk of meat quickly. 

Epaule de Porc - Slow roasted pork shoulder with butternut squash gratin, brussels sprouts, and bacon
This dish was recommended by my friend and it definitely lived up to its expectations! The pork shoulder was very tender and falling off the bone. The brussels sprouts were cooked just right, not too soft and not too hard. It had the perfect amount of crunch that contrasted well with the extremely juicy and tender pork. The bacon bits added little bursts of salty flavor. Bacon is always a win in my book.

Daube de Boeuf - Beef stew with mashed potatoes, buttered peas, and carrots
A traditional and simple comfort food, but OH MY GOD was it absolutely mind blowing. This may possibly be my favorite dish of the entire trip (tied with the foie at La Toque). I have never tasted such tender melt in your mouth beef that had such incredible flavor. It was absolutely heavenly and I still fantasize about this stew. This was also the second time in my life that I found peas to be edible and actually quite delicious! The only other time was at Stephanie's on Newbury in Boston. I am an avid hater of peas and the fact that Bistro Jeanty was able to make me eat peas displays their excellent and masterful culinary skills. Absolutely fantastic. 

Bread pudding with rum and raisins
I am a total sucker for bread pudding. It is so warm, sweet, and delicious. At the end of dinner I was on the verge of explosion but just when I was about to throw in the towel I noticed the chalkboard with the specials of the day and had to order the bread pudding. The bread pudding was the perfect end to this amazing dinner. Sadly I was so full that I could not finish it but if I could I would eat it all now. It was everything a bread pudding should be, the top was crusty with caramelized sugar and the inside was creamy, sinfully sweet, and moist.


If you ever are in Napa, please make sure you do yourself a favor and drop by Bistro Jeanty. It is an amazing dining experience. The waiters are friendly, the atmosphere warm and lively, and the food absolutely delicious. 

Bistro Jeany
6510 Washington Street 
Yountville 
CA 94599

No comments:

Post a Comment