Monday, June 6, 2011

La Toque

After graduation I went to Napa Valley with my parents for my graduation trip. Unfortunately we were unable to get a reservation at French Laundry which was rather devastating to me but luckily there were many other delicious places in Napa for good food. La Toque by Ken Frank in the Westin Hotel received many positive reviews on yelp therefore I made a reservation there for our first dinner at Napa. The menu changes periodically to showcase the freshest seasonal ingredients. There are 3 options, one where you pick your own courses, the Chef's tasting menu, and a vegetable tasting menu. There is also the option of wine pairings with each course which my father and I opted for.


Maine Lobster Salad with Manila Mango and Lemongrass
The lobster salad was a dance of fresh and exotic flavors in ones mouth. There were hearty pieces of lobster in the salad and the sweetness of the mango along with other garnishes resulted in a refreshing and delectable starter. 

Seared Artison Foie Gras with Peppered Compressed Pineapple, Apricot, and Spiced Rum Gastrique
As always, anything with foie is instantly on the top of my list. This foie was rich and seared perfectly. Still not as amazing as the foie gras from L'espalier in Boston which I will blog about soon. The foie gras was paired with a sweet wine which was an absolutely perfect combination. 

Alaskan Halibut with Saffron Cream Sauce
I am not completely sure of the full name of this dish. I took a small bite of this and it was thoroughly enjoyable. The fish was battered lightly and deep fried but was not overly greasy or healthy and maintained the freshness and texture of the fish.
Soft shell crab Once again I am unsure of the entire title of this dish. The presentation was a bit awkward in my opinion with the entire crab on the plate. The taste was decent but not something I would order again. The crab was not as crunchy and I would hope and all the textures just did not harmonize together too well.  
Boneless Lamb Loin with Cumin Scented Carrot Puree and Chickpea Fries
The lamb was extremely tender and the entire dish had very strong and robust flavors. The carrot puree complimented the lamb very well and the sauces were also perfect. The presentation of the dish was also lovely. I did not care for the chickpea fries, they were slightly soggy and lacking in any special flavor. 

Wild Pacific Salmon with Red Wine Vermicelli and Oyster Mushrooms
The salmon was sliced very thinly and cooked very well, resulting in very juicy meat. Although cooked well, it was not anything incredibly outstanding. 
Overall the meal was very enjoyable yet it was not mind-blowing. Good quality food but not somewhere I would be specifically keen on returning to.

La Toque 
1314 Mckinstry Street 
Napa 
CA 94558

No comments:

Post a Comment